Hoodman Flip up

P

papa85

Hi Guys just received my new Hoodman flip up cover For my D2H. Early stage review is, much more secure then the original. think I will like it as I 'm not to much of a Chimp-er. I'll report back later after I run it through the mill.

Let us know, mine's in the drawer

I guess 'cause I'm a relentless chimper. I gotta check for Histograms, Compositions, and whether or not I need to shoot some more. Guess that's why I have Image Review turned on.

The PDA film cover is the best solution

Greg said:
Steve, I have the same problem which is why I have two extra OEM covers in my bag. no way the flip up would last.
Haven't tried it yet, but twig has, and endorses it. I don't like keeping my plastic cover on my LCD. Too cloudy & reflective, and it fogs up. Never have used those things. Gonna try the PDA protective clear film.

P

papa85

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hoodman Update

Well I had the Hoodman on for 1 whole day now :D I have opened and closed it over 100 times so far so good. It is very solid. Looks like it is built in to the D2H. Very sharp looking. Very protective of the LCD. Not a whole lot of difference in the viewing outdoors. Seems that the Histogram is more visible though. I'm already able to open AND close it with one hand very fast and smooth. How long will it last? I had heard that there were problems with the flaps breaking. I ordered my from Hoodman and mentioned the problem, and they said that they have already sold a large amount and the returns was less then 1% They said that they would make sure mine was 100% before they ship,( If you can believe that. :?: ) Also if unhappy they will refund my money. How can you beat that. http://www.hoodmanusa.com/flip_up.asp
No I don't work for them. LOL :idea:
Will continue to review, right know I like it and would buy it again.

I've had one on a D2x for awhile

The D2x and D2H take the same Hoodman model.

I like it. I mostly do tripod shooting, so it suits my shooting style. Haven't had any problems with it, but I'm pretty gentle with my camera equipt.

It does shade the LCD somewhat, but not completely. In bright sunlight conditions where the LCD was pretty much unreadable, it is now readable, but with some glare remaining. If you are using the LCD to view the histogram and check the flashing indicator of blown highlights, it is fine. IMO, that pretty much all the LCD is good for anyway. You can't rely on it for color balance, and it is a pain to zoom in for focus check.

The first one Hoodman sent me had a flaw in the optical window. After a phone call to them they immediately replaced it without waiting for the bad one to come back. Some have reported (on dpreview) that they flaps break off. I haven't had the problem. It is plastic, so I wouldn't try to pick the camera up by one of the flaps, or hit it with a hammer. :wink:

The term comes from people that look at their shots in the LCD and go 'Ooo!, Ooo!, Ooo!.... :lol:

D

dbirdsong

rose_canyon said:
Uhhh, would someone enlighten me... what does "Chimp" and "Chimp-er" mean??
I'm clueless on this one. :?
This I think it the best way to understand chimping...

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/

I can tell you this, last winter shooting the Motor City Mechanic games we got a lot of big time photogs in the arena after they signed 3 Red Wing players, and they are the worst chimpers of all. :)

R

Robin Horlock

I think I would buy the Hoodman if it flipped
down instead of up.

R

Robin Horlock

Gord,
Why not try the Palm Pilot screen covers. They are clear as
glass, come in a pack of ten and you can't loose them, If they
do become scratched, you peel it off and replace it.

Cheers,
Robin

Just make sure you get the ones for a color screen, the B&W
ones give a moire pattern on the screen.

Robin Horlock said:
Gord,
Why not try the Palm Pilot screen covers. They are clear as
glass, come in a pack of ten and you can't loose them, If they
do become scratched, you peel it off and replace it.

Cheers,
Robin

Just make sure you get the ones for a color screen, the B&W
ones give a moire pattern on the screen.
Great idea Robin, now where do I find them?

R

Robin Horlock

I am not really sure where to find them in Utah but
most Business Depot type stores, or electronic suppliers
like Best Buy should have them.

If you can't find them I would be more than happy to send
you one from my package. ( If I can find it! )

Cheers,
Robin

We do have a Best Buy and a Staples here so I will give it a shot. Nothing worse than a scratched cover, I mean it seriously cuts into your chimping. :lol: :lol: Thanks for your help Robin. Maybe I should call you Robin Hood?? :)

R

Robin Horlock

Ha Ha Ha Ha....... I get it!

Salut,
Robin

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom