Hoot Hoot

B

bfjr

Hey found my 1st Owl. He was sleeping so the beamer and me woke him up :redface:

Not that awake yet
34715172-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just a tad more awake
34715230-L.jpg

Now I could his attention :redface:
34715106-L.jpg

I think I'm going to like this beamer thing, soon as I learn how to use it :biggrin:

PGB

ok. well this inspired me to get my owl tapes out in the yard. I ordered some a while back and haven't set them up. I'm hooting outside now. Hopefully it will attract some barred owls. Probably won't but I'll try anything.

:)

I like the third one the best. That extra light you got by opening up to f/6.3 did wonders for the noise.

Not sure how this will work with the Beamer, but you may want to give it a shot:

Matrix meter your shots like this that are backlit and dial in -1EV. (May have to go more or less depending on the intensity of the light.)

Add +1 EV to your flash.

I just read about this in a magazine and tried it on some still life. Seemed to work! Background is correctly exposed to eliminate blown highlights and the subject looks naturally lit.

Great captures BTW.

B

bfjr

Patrick Bramlett said:
Sweeeeet. I wish I could find an owl.

Very nice.

Hi Patrick. Man do I feel lucky I almost passed him by but something in my little brain said that's an owl, dummy look harder!!
:biggrin:

B

bfjr

eng45ine said:
Nice captures. Looks like he wasn't too concerned about you being there and taking his picture.

You hit right on the head Frank
We shot early morning and he was still there in the afternoon when we returned to check. Didn't move an inch. So of course I'll be back to check on him again :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bfjr

Patrick Bramlett said:
ok. well this inspired me to get my owl tapes out in the yard. I ordered some a while back and haven't set them up. I'm hooting outside now. Hopefully it will attract some barred owls. Probably won't but I'll try anything.

:)

Hope it works for you. Let me know!!

B

bfjr

greyflash said:
There is no question that you woke him up by the third image. My favorite is #2.

Morning Gordon
Yes mine too. Gotta learn how to keep red eye effect down with the flash. In camera red eye reduc doesn't seem to do much on wildlife
:confused:

Nice little series, Ben - you sure woke him up! I think I'll probably have to go to the local wildlife park to capture any owls. I rarely see them and then only in flight at dusk.

B

bfjr

Flew said:
Very nice Ben. I haven't seen one of these guys yet.

Thanks Frank
there around but you really got to look hard. This one sat motionless in a Eucalyptus (sp) tree and the only way I noticed him was that he looked like a pine cone and I knew that wasn't right. I still had to look two or three times real hard before his frame came into focus. One good thing is once you know where they are usually in the same perch/place all the time.

B

bfjr

Jim Strathearn said:
I like the third one the best. That extra light you got by opening up to f/6.3 did wonders for the noise.

Not sure how this will work with the Beamer, but you may want to give it a shot:

Matrix meter your shots like this that are backlit and dial in -1EV. (May have to go more or less depending on the intensity of the light.)

Add +1 EV to your flash.

I just read about this in a magazine and tried it on some still life. Seemed to work! Background is correctly exposed to eliminate blown highlights and the subject looks naturally lit.

Great captures BTW.

thanks Jim just the kinda info I'm looking for. Still very rough with the flash settings and this here seems quite logical and will give it a try.
Thanks again!!

Here's a rough sample...

bfjr said:
thanks Jim just the kinda info I'm looking for. Still very rough with the flash settings and this here seems quite logical and will give it a try.
Thanks again!!
I had some time this morning and decided to try those settings I posted about. Now, don't look at the picture real well because it's not that good! :eek: However, the technique seemed to work.

I set the camera exposure comp to -1.7 EV and the flash exposure comp to +1 (SB-800 set to TTL). This is a 400mm shot so I was at least 30' or so away from the bird. I think I should have dialed in a bit more negative camera exposure comp to darken the background a bit more and thereby isolating the bird a bit more, but I think the technique is solid. BTW, when set to 0 EV and no flash, the areas of the pic that are now blue sky were blown out white, and the foreground was pretty much black.

35266230-L.jpg

B

bfjr

Nikam said:
Nice little series, Ben - you sure woke him up! I think I'll probably have to go to the local wildlife park to capture any owls. I rarely see them and then only in flight at dusk.

Now there's another shot I need owl in flight, that would be great !!

B

bfjr

Jim Strathearn said:
I had some time this morning and decided to try those settings I posted about. Now, don't look at the picture real well because it's not that good! :eek: However, the technique seemed to work.

I set the camera exposure comp to -1.7 EV and the flash exposure comp to +1 (SB-800 set to TTL). This is a 400mm shot so I was at least 30' or so away from the bird. I think I should have dialed in a bit more negative camera exposure comp to darken the background a bit more and thereby isolating the bird a bit more, but I think the technique is solid. BTW, when set to 0 EV and no flash, the areas of the pic that are now blue sky were blown out white, and the foreground was pretty much black.

35266230-S.jpg

Not to shabby and yes looks like that works. Still haven't had a chance to try but as soon as the opportunity arise I'll be all over it!

Thanks for posting this, am really anxious to try :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom