Hoover Dam

Spent some time at Hoover Dam today with the Nikkor AFS 14-24 and Nikkor AFS 24-120 f/4.

As always, I am open to comments and critiques.

Hope you enjoy the photos and thanks for viewing!

14-24
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

24-120
original.jpg

Spent some time at Hoover Dam today with the Nikkor AFS 14-24 and Nikkor AFS 24-120 f/4.

As always, I am open to comments and critiques.

Hope you enjoy the photos and thanks for viewing!

14-24
http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/image/133058703/original.jpg

24-120
http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/image/133058714/original.jpg

Those are excellent Gordon and have special significance for me. It was a long long time ago, but my grandfathers' construction company installed the turbines at Hoover Dam. Still operating even after all those years.

Thanks, all.

With regards to the first photo...

...vantage point was from the new bypass bridge's walkway (bridge is visible in second photo)

...it is a single photo, 14-24 at 15mm (finger bumped the zoom ring and I didn't catch it) in portrait orientation

Robert - took the full tour today and got to see the powerplant as well as some of the tunnels inside the dam structure itself. That is one impressive piece of engineering. Kudo's to your grandfather. Highly recommend the tour to anyone who has time to visit the dam.

For anyone interested, more in my gallery here: http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/nvlvarea

And speaking of the turbines...
original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love your damn photographs, especially #1.

I have been over it and jet skied as far as I could go from downstream. It is amazing to still see tools left in the canyon by the workers who built the damn.

I love your damn photographs, especially #1.

I have been over it and jet skied as far as I could go from downstream. It is amazing to still see tools left in the canyon by the workers who built the damn.

Thanks! It is astounding what was accomplished without computers or the high-tech machinery we have available today. And for being built in the 30's, the interior of the structure is essentially still original - a few repairs and upgrades over the years. It was built to last a very long time.

Lyndee, Ron and CBags04 - thanks!

For anyone wanting to walk the bypass bridge - if you have any issues with height or height with movement, be advised. The guardrail is only about 4 or 4.5 feet high. The bridge surface is 880 feet above the river surface. And the bridge does hop and vibrate when heavy vehicles are crossing. High-centered vehicles are advised to travel the inside lanes so they have room to weave/ recover/ tip over and stay on the bridge during the occasional strong gusts and crosswinds. I have no doubts that at some point the bridge will close from time to time due to high winds.

But it does provide one heck of a view. :biggrin:

Very nice! I love the shot from the bridge. Last time I was there (last May) they were just finishing up the bridge. I have plenty of pictures from on top of, and around the dam, but now, I may have to go back to get a few from the bridge.

Lyndee, Ron and CBags04 - thanks!

For anyone wanting to walk the bypass bridge - if you have any issues with height or height with movement, be advised. The guardrail is only about 4 or 4.5 feet high. The bridge surface is 880 feet above the river surface. And the bridge does hop and vibrate when heavy vehicles are crossing. High-centered vehicles are advised to travel the inside lanes so they have room to weave/ recover/ tip over and stay on the bridge during the occasional strong gusts and crosswinds. I have no doubts that at some point the bridge will close from time to time due to high winds.

But it does provide one heck of a view. :biggrin:

Guess I will just have to enjoy your impressive shot's.

Gordon,
#1 is just fantastic. Last time we went there, the bridge was just starting to take shape. I would love to go back and take photos, but not sure if I can take the extreme height. Isn't that like one of the highest/deepest bridges in the U.S.? I get dizzy just looking at it. What a shot!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom