Hoping for a little criticism

Discussion in 'People' started by DatHaitianDude, Aug 3, 2008.

1. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    I took this picture of my son and I am hoping I can get some feedback on how I can avoid the shadow behind him, and whatever else I can improve on.

To the experts: What could I have done differently?

Thanks you all for looking, your criticism and comments are welcome.

Marc
    http://datdude.smugmug.com/gallery/5178586_UYSMF#344363458_CbJ95

2. Your picture requires a password!

3. can't wait to see it....
    but.... for now... only YOU can enjoy your own work

4. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    Sorry about Password

I just started using smugmug....you shouldn't need a paasword now.

5. i'll post it directly for you

[​IMG]

6. good-looking young man
    as for the shadows
    more of a bounce flash
    or...
    something like a GARY FONG device
    http://store.garyfonginc.com/licl.html
    that can help diffuse the light more

also...
    your image needs a bit of post-processing to make it really pop

keep posting, please
    you have a great model

7. Marina

Marina Guest

Well, tell us what equipment you're using. Do you have extra flash, or this is in camera one?

To avoid shadows you will need extra light, and use a technique called "bouncing", meaning you can point your flash (if you have one of camera) and bounce it of the white ceiling or what wall.
    If this is not possible, then you will need to light up your background with more light. Another thing, keep your subject as far away from the bg as possible, that might help as well.

8. here's a bit of a redo on your image:

344537537_Jbd59-O.jpg

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Marc,

You have a very handsome son!!

The shadow is to his right because the vertical shot results in the flash being on the left of the lens.

You can buy an external flash (Nikon SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, SB-900), and a flash bracket, which will allow the flash to be directly above the lens (on the same axis). This will put the shadow directly behind your son.

In addition to a Nikon SB-900, and a flash bracket (RRS Perfect Portrait), you will need a cord (SC-28 or SC-29) to connect the flash. I would use a softer background. The white is too harsh IMHO. Also, I bounce the flash and use Demb to soften the flash (diffuse the light).

There are many creative lighting techniques, and the Cafe has many who can help with these.

Keep on plugging. You have a wonderful "subject"!! :biggrin:

10. that didn't do anything for the shadows
    but, i brightened and sharpened and increased the contrast a bit to make HIM look even better

i hope you don't mind me posting this
    i'll remove it, if you do

11. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    Greg,

Thank you for posting the picture and your comments. I understand the importance of post-processing, unforunately, I am post-processing challenged. Having said that is there anyway to salvage this picture by removing that pesky shadow through post-processing?

12. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    EXCELLENT processing, Greg!!!

The image really POPS!!

Now to eliminate that shadow... it is time for a flash bracket, cord, flash, & diffuser (at a minimum)...

13. i wonder if one of our illustrious members could take a stab at removing the shadow from this picture.... and, then teaching us all how to do that

14. kind of you to say, john
    i really appreciate it

15. i hope that someone will be able to do that
    as for post-processing...
    it's a constant learning process for all of us

but..... as i usually say about 5 times/day around here
    taking the picture is only HALF the battle in arriving at your final image
    every single DSLR picture requires post-processing..... EVERY SINGLE ONE

16. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    John,

Thank you for the kind words about my son. Believe or not I did use an external flash (SB600), but because I did not have a white ceiling I did put the flash to the left of the lens, trying to bounce it off the wall behind him. Your explanation makes perfect sense to me now. If I understand you correctly, pointing the flash directly at him would have been better.

17. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Yes, providing you diffuse the flash with a Fong, Demb, or something to soften the strobe output. I thought you had an external flash because the flash was stronger than the built-in Nikon speedlight.

HOWEVER, you need to shoot this shot vertically so the external flash will be to the left of the lens, with the same result.

You need a flash bracket to keep the flash ABOVE the lens.

18. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    Wow Greg! You are not kidding about making the picture pop. It looks one 100% better than the original, thanks a bunch. I love this forum, everyone of you guys are not only knowledgeable, but are so willing to help.

I really appreciate it Greg!

19. we help each other all the time
    it was only through the tireless help of others that i have been able to become more proficient in post-processing myself

one day, in the not-too-distant future.... folks will be looking to YOU for advice... i promise

20. It's possible to remove the shadow but it will look very rough on a low-res image like this.
    Post a link to a full-image.