Hoping for a little criticism

i'll post it directly for you

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M

Marina

Well, tell us what equipment you're using. Do you have extra flash, or this is in camera one?

To avoid shadows you will need extra light, and use a technique called "bouncing", meaning you can point your flash (if you have one of camera) and bounce it of the white ceiling or what wall.
If this is not possible, then you will need to light up your background with more light. Another thing, keep your subject as far away from the bg as possible, that might help as well.

here's a bit of a redo on your image:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Marc,

You have a very handsome son!!

The shadow is to his right because the vertical shot results in the flash being on the left of the lens.

You can buy an external flash (Nikon SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, SB-900), and a flash bracket, which will allow the flash to be directly above the lens (on the same axis). This will put the shadow directly behind your son.

In addition to a Nikon SB-900, and a flash bracket (RRS Perfect Portrait), you will need a cord (SC-28 or SC-29) to connect the flash. I would use a softer background. The white is too harsh IMHO. Also, I bounce the flash and use Demb to soften the flash (diffuse the light).

There are many creative lighting techniques, and the Cafe has many who can help with these.

Keep on plugging. You have a wonderful "subject"!! :biggrin:

that didn't do anything for the shadows
but, i brightened and sharpened and increased the contrast a bit to make HIM look even better

i hope you don't mind me posting this
i'll remove it, if you do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Greg,

Thank you for posting the picture and your comments. I understand the importance of post-processing, unforunately, I am post-processing challenged. Having said that is there anyway to salvage this picture by removing that pesky shadow through post-processing?

that didn't do anything for the shadows
but, i brightened and sharpened and increased the contrast a bit to make HIM look even better

i hope you don't mind me posting this
i'll remove it, if you do
EXCELLENT processing, Greg!!!

The image really POPS!!

Now to eliminate that shadow... it is time for a flash bracket, cord, flash, & diffuser (at a minimum)...

Greg,

Thank you for posting the picture and your comments. I understand the importance of post-processing, unforunately, I am post-processing challenged. Having said that is there anyway to salvage this picture by removing that pesky shadow through post-processing?
i hope that someone will be able to do that
as for post-processing...
it's a constant learning process for all of us

but..... as i usually say about 5 times/day around here
taking the picture is only HALF the battle in arriving at your final image
every single DSLR picture requires post-processing..... EVERY SINGLE ONE

John,

Thank you for the kind words about my son. Believe or not I did use an external flash (SB600), but because I did not have a white ceiling I did put the flash to the left of the lens, trying to bounce it off the wall behind him. Your explanation makes perfect sense to me now. If I understand you correctly, pointing the flash directly at him would have been better.

John,

Thank you for the kind words about my son. Believe or not I did use an external flash (SB600), but because I did not have a white ceiling I did put the flash to the left of the lens, trying to bounce it off the wall behind him. Your explanation makes perfect sense to me now. If I understand you correctly, pointing the flash directly at him would have been better.
Yes, providing you diffuse the flash with a Fong, Demb, or something to soften the strobe output. I thought you had an external flash because the flash was stronger than the built-in Nikon speedlight.

HOWEVER, you need to shoot this shot vertically so the external flash will be to the left of the lens, with the same result.

You need a flash bracket to keep the flash ABOVE the lens.

Wow Greg! You are not kidding about making the picture pop. It looks one 100% better than the original, thanks a bunch. I love this forum, everyone of you guys are not only knowledgeable, but are so willing to help.

I really appreciate it Greg!

Wow Greg! You are not kidding about making the picture pop. It looks one 100% better than the original, thanks a bunch. I love this forum, everyone of you guys are not only knowledgeable, but are so willing to help.

I really appreciate it Greg!
we help each other all the time
it was only through the tireless help of others that i have been able to become more proficient in post-processing myself

one day, in the not-too-distant future.... folks will be looking to YOU for advice... i promise

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
It's possible to remove the shadow but it will look very rough on a low-res image like this.
Post a link to a full-image.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom