1. Got a chance to go to the local track where they are VERY friendly to photogs of all sorts. Got some good acess and had a lot of fun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Severely cropped. The light on that back rider is from the finish line indicating he's just crossing it at the time of the shot:
    [​IMG]

_/oe

2. #2 is probably my favorite but I like #1 too because of the dirt flying above their heads in the background! :) Nice shots!

3. Nice images. That last one is sort of funny as it looks like three riders on one horse.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    These are sweet! The perspective is really nice. I like the 3rd the best.

Thanks for sharing.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Joe...

All three images are outstanding but my favorite is the third with the pack running straight at you. Great dirt and bokeh!!!

6. WOW the third one is stunnign a wall hanger for sure, add thsi to my list of thigns to shoot

7. Joe,

#3 is spectacular. What lens did you use ? What settings ?

8. Stunning how you choose your order for your picture. #1 a lot of horses lot of color. #2 less horses less color. #3 as many horses than 2 but look like one, brillant color on last rider middle one a little less brillant and three the color in the shadow the less shiney.

9. Thanks for all the kind kudos, it's appreciated!

I used the 200-400VR on these shots. The first two were taken early in the evening as the horses came around turn 4 (it was turn 2 in this particular race). I think it was about 330mm so any 70-200 with TC14 would have worked as well.

The last shot was later in the evening while I was standing at the end of turn 1 shooting head on as they came across the finish line. It's ISO 400 and full on 400mm with heavy croping and some exposure fixes (I did not nail it unfortunately). Thus the noise visible in the shot.

Shutter speeds are between 1/500 and 1/1000 at f/4.

The track had no problem with letting my gear in and were very nice in allowing me to roam by myself to different ends of the track. I highly recommend it if you want to practice on your sports shooting...

Thanks again!

_/oe

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Joe :

Some sweet sweet shots here ! And you're using that 200-400mm AFS/VR to best advantage clearly.

Good to see your work again.

John P.

11. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Joe the third is fabulous a wall hanger great work all of them

12. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Joe,

I go with the rest here, those images are stunning man !!!

Those images are packed with energy, If I really have to choose one of them then I take the first one. I like that one because it is very colourful, lots of dirty flying around and like I have said before loaded with energy. Great stuff !!!

PS: those nice black frames with the Dx2-logo in it make these great publicity photos for the D2x 8) :D

Regards

13. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    WOW, Good Stuff Joe.

I hope to visit my track sometime .

14. Thanks to all for the very kind comments!

It cost a grand total of $3 to get into the track with a 400mm lens and monopod. They never looked twice at the equipment. I went on an off day so there were very little in the way of crowds and even then I was able to wander down both sides of the track to get riders going into and out of turns.

I'll be going back, it's great exercise.

_/oe

15. The last one is a killer!