Horseshoe Crab - Not Something You See Every Day

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
I saw this Horseshoe Crab while walking with my wife and my dog on the beach in Brigantine, NJ last week. I see lots of them, but I've never seen one covered with so many barnacles and whatever else is on it. He was alive and moving fine. Just found it fascinating and wanted to share, since this is an odd creature for this forum.

MCQ_6469 copy.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
MCQ_6481 copy.JPG

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Thanks, all. I forgot to post a closer, cropped version to see the barnacles better. Here it is. The stories these old critters could tell...

MCQ_6470closecrop.jpg

Wow I’ve never seen one that encrusted!!! Where I grew up In Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn, we used to see and play with them everyday!!! LOL

• Appreciate
Reactions: McQ

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Wow I’ve never seen one that encrusted!!! Where I grew up In Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn, we used to see and play with them everyday!!! LOL

Yeah, I'm quite accustomed to seeing them and handling them my whole life but I never saw one like this. From what I understand it probably means it is no longer molting, which means it is pretty old by HC standards - at least 12 years old, most likely closer to 20 years.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
That is interesting. Even more so that the growth is mostly confined to the tail area. Such pre-historic looking creatures.

I thought that was noteworthy too. I wonder why it's mostly just in that area.
And they are very prehistoric. Older than dinosaurs ~ 250 million years!

Yeah, I'm quite accustomed to seeing them and handling them my whole life but I never saw one like this. From what I understand it probably means it is no longer molting, which means it is pretty old by HC standards - at least 12 years old, most likely closer to 20 years.
Wow pretty interesting. Makes sense if they don’t shed anymore to have that much growth. My friends and I used to do the same. Lol. We’d see them at the beach everyday and play with them too. They’re so alien like and intriguing. Seeing their “trains” was always something funny too.

Reactions: McQ
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom