Hosting services and web design

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by keith5523, Sep 18, 2008.

1. I own an used car business from which I derive income, and a sideline photography business that is gaining traction. Both have individual websites and operate independently of each other. Neither site shares a common name. I would like to create a 3rd site, using my name in the URL from which I could promote both sites. I would like to tell people to visit my personal site at www.keith5523.com (not the real name) and when they get there, they would find links to either site, thereby cross promoting either site. The folks looking for cars would see that I also do photography and vice versa. I have already secured the url, I just need a little more info and help.

That's a lot of background just to get to some simple questions, that I can't answer. I'd like the names of a few companies that will host such a small site and provide links? I have no experience in web design so that would be a plus as well. Are the places like godaddy.com the way to go?

Thanks for your opinions.

2. Gnome

Gnome

Mar 6, 2007
    Born in Europe
    Keith, there are a lot of ways to approach this, one is to use a hosting service that would permit all three sites to be co-located, another is to use separate hosts for each site to spread the chance of failure around, but essentially there are no technical problems just financial and convenience aspects to consider.

A great many folks like GoDaddy ( http://www.godady.com/ ) can offer hosting services, you largely get what you pay for, so make sure you know what you need and then compare offerings ignoring the enticing "add ons" unless you really and truly need them.

3. I do exactly that using GoDaddy.com and it works great. You just buy as many domain names as you need and then host them all in one directory on GoDaddy. I simply organize a secondary site in a set of folders off the root directory.

Each site has it's own unique address and the fact that they're actually connected to the same root directory is not apparent to site visitors. That is to say Keithphotography.com and Bigripoffusedcarsales.com can be in the same file directory with no problems. Additional sites can be added to the same root directory at any time by simply paying another 10 bucks or so for a domain name.

Putting links in one site which point to another site has nothing to do with this. You could easily embed a link in one of your existing sites which will point to the other. They need not be connected in any way, other than via the embedded link of course.

4. I came to here looking for help, not insults. Sorry you have issues, but next time you feel like insulting someone, find another forum.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Bit touchy aren't we? Bob was giving the help you requested and his choice of domain name was clearly intended to be humorous . . :eek: 

6. It appears to me like you're doing just the opposite.

You passed right over some excellent help and, by looking real hard for insults where none exist, you managed to find one. Congratulations.

Time to take a deep breath, wouldn't you say? And if you can't get a grip after that, take a look at how many other responses you've been getting.

Folks around here are pretty friendly and most have a good sense of humor.
    However, when you ask for help and get it, but then reveal what looks very much like a mean spirited side, the help can dry up pretty quickly. Think about it.:Love:

7. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Hey Keith, I really like hostmonster.com. I have three sites through them. They are very affordable and you could transfer your hosting of your other two sites to them as well. Your domain name is issued through a separate company so that is a different aspect I can help you with if you want but you can leave them whereever.

For example- one of my domain names is purchased through tucows.com while the other two I purchased while using hostmonster.com. But all three are hosted via hostmonster.com

I would recommend starting a hostmonster.com hosting service with the name of the NEW site and then you can transfer the hosting from the other two sites to hostmonster for free. You will even receive a credit for any remaining hosting services you have through your current company.

Hostmonster's customer service is STELLAR! If you have any problems, they are very quick to answer you or send you in the right direction.

Good luck!

8. Thanks for the recommendation Liv. I had picked them up in a google search but had no idea if they were good folks to deal with. Thanks Keith

Bob, sorry if I'm offended by your crude attempt at humor. I won't apologize for having the opinion I have, but I will personally apologize to you for expressing it. I do know better; I guess I just didn't expect your response from what I consider to be an excellent place to get help from a mostly friendly membership. My apologies.

9. bucky919

bucky919

Feb 9, 2008
    Minot, ND
    I use godaddy, Ive never had a problem with them. I have 4 websites Im hosting off of it right now. I also have about 5 ftp users on it right now so they can update there own sites. It took me awhile to get use to there "Hosting Control Center" but thats with any new software you have to learn how to use it.

I designed my own websites though, I usually just find a css template off the internet I like and modify it to my liking. Im not really a web designer though, just more of a hobby.

10. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

This seems like an odd question. You have two somewhat complex web sites and you have to ask how to make a third very simple site. How did you make the first two?

It sounds like you already have two web sites. Are each of these at different web hosting companies? If so you are likely paying double. Pick the hosting company you like the best and put everything there. (Yes of course you can put two web sites on the same physical server. The web host companies likely put hundreds of sites on each server.)

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Many of the templates available at www.bludomain.com will allow you to have a splash page with links to 2 or more separate sites.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.