Hot air balloon, what lens?

Hello!

Next week, I have the chance to go in a hot air balloon flight. It will be in a 'festival' with a hundred balloons at the same time in the sky. I shoot with a D3 and want to bring, if possible only one lens.

Anybody ever did the same kind of flight? Which lens, 14-24? 24-70? or 70-200? Any insights?

Thanks

Yves

This venue will lend itself to a wide angle and the 70-200. Those would be the ones I would take.

Hello!

Next week, I have the chance to go in a hot air balloon flight. It will be in a 'festival' with a hundred balloons at the same time in the sky. I shoot with a D3 and want to bring, if possible only one lens.

Anybody ever did the same kind of flight? Which lens, 14-24? 24-70? or 70-200? Any insights?

Thanks

Yves

24-70mm is all you should need.

Actually, all of those lenses would be quite useful. If you're going to be in a spectacular landscape, wider will be more important. Otherwise, do whatever you can to take all three! In fact, add a fisheye to the lineup! :)

One warning - wear a hat (preferrably light colored). The top of your head will get VERY hot from the burner.

When the balloon is being inflated, it is lying on its side. Get up close with a wide angle and you can get the flames and inside of balloon. 24mm min. Neat when back lit. Wide for panorama of the whole field.
With the D3, I would take the 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 or 70-300 VR.

I'd take the 24-70.

Depending on the size of the balloon / basket, it may get a bit tight. I fly hot air balloons quite a lot and in a 90 or 105 (thousand cubic feet of air!), there's only room for 4 or possibly 5 if it's a really cool day and they're slim people! And not only might it be cramped, it's also quite a dirty environment. I'm not keen on changing lenses in the basket :wink:

When the balloon is being inflated, it is lying on its side. Get up close with a wide angle and you can get the flames and inside of balloon. 24mm min. Neat when back lit. Wide for panorama of the whole field.
With the D3, I would take the 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 or 70-300 VR.
Best bit is being inside during the inflation

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:biggrin:

And yes, wear a cap if you're tall. The burner is hot!

I go ballooning most weeks as a photographer and would recommend taking the 24-70 and 70-200. At preparation time you will need to keep your wits about you and have the 24-70 mounted. You will most likely need to stay close to your balloon as when it's ready to go you need to be there! Get there early - an hour before hand so you can wander about and get shots of others inflating, etc.
When you are in the air both lenses will have their uses.
As others have said a hat is a good I use a "beanie" type hat.

Take as much storage as you have as you WILL take more than you thought you would!!:eek:

You should be able to see some of my balloon images here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/35971625@N05/

ENJOY.........:smile::smile::smile:

Halftime in Central Florida, halftime RV'ing.
This was the 17-55mm on a d300, not the lenses you mentioned, but I like the mid range zooms. 24-70?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd try to take all 3, but if you can only take one, I would take the 24-70.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom