1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hot and Humid Weather

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by pixel_a_ted, Jul 19, 2008.

1. How do most of you deal with hot, humid weather, as far as being willing to use your good gear outside during the summer? I'm scheduled to do some photos Sunday a.m. (amateur work). My house is air conditioned but it's probably going to be 90 deg F and high humidity outside.

Is it sufficient if I put my camera bag in the trunk of my car so it can gradually heat up during the 20 minute ride to my destination, or should I do something else? Also, how about the return trip back into air conditioning.

I've read a lot of posts with varying advice. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience worth relating.

Thanks.

Barry

2. Whitedog

Whitedog Guest

Barry,I deal with heat and humidity daily and don't worry much about it since I can't change it. I just figure it will be about ten minutes or so when I take the camera outside the house or vehicle. I would see no harm in putting everything in the trunk of the car to let it warm up. I'm sure the repeated fogging up, clearing up isn't the best thing for cameras and lenses but what ya gonna do?

3. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    India is a tropical country with such conditions year round somewhere or the other. I keep my gear on the back seat and the bag has several silica gel satchets to keep the moisture out of the bag. I've learnt to live with it and have had no probs with my gear..

4. great thread
    EXCELLENT piece of advice

thank you, Gurudutt

5. I was under the impression that the silica gel would only be effective for a tightly sealed container.

Barry

6. I emptied the silica pellets from a Dri Aid jar (available from hearing aid dispensers for dehumidifying hearing aids - also digital technology ;0) ) into a zip lock bag to use to dehumidify my camera and lens after being out in humidity or precipitation. I put the entire lot (minus the battery) in the bag and zip it up.

The great thing about these pellets is that some are blue, the rest beige so when the blue pellets turn beige it's time to nuke them in the microwave to restore their absorption capabilities. It's a reusable resource to a point. Eventually they wear out and must be replaced.

7. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

i drink plenty of water and avoid being out in the heat as much as possible.ak ak ak ak

8. I have lived in South Florida 40 years using several film SLR's, P&S cameras, and now 2 DSLR's with no problems as far as heat and humidity. These cameras have been subjected to sub freezing temps when on vacation in the winter and up to 95+ degrees and 85% humidity in the summer.

The cameras are taken from the house to inside the car when I transport them. Seldom carry them in the trunk.

The environmental spec for the D80 is 0 to 40C (32-104F) and 85% RH non-condensing. I'm sure I have exceeded these specs many times and have had no problems I could blame on either temperature or humidity.

Max

9. I usually keep my gear in a big cooler on the back seat of my SUV or in the trunk of my car. It has wheels for rolling if needed and it keeps the gear hidden and cool in the summer heat.

Drink lots of water and try not to waste shooting time if it's very hot and/or humid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.