Hot Chocolate Maker

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Richard, when you make yours do you fill it to the first line or the second one?
I'm not quite sure what you mean.
  1. Starting at the bottom, the first thing you get to is a short line. I think that is simply for technical reasons to assist the magnetic stirrer.
  2. Higher up is a long line.
  3. Just above that it says MAX and to the right of the MAX is a symbol indicating a level, a circle with a line coming out each side.
I fill it to the long line (2). If I want a bit more I fill it to the centre of the symbol (3). It doesn't make much difference.

My question was based on Mike's comment:

"There are two markings on the inside of the pot but only one of them is explained. I think the lower mark indicates the recommended least amount of milk and the higher mark indicates the recommended most amount. Lately I've been using the higher mark with great satisfaction."

I may have misunderstood.

I may have misunderstood.

You understood correctly.

I just now got out my pot after reading Richard's post. That's because I never noticed the first line, the short line, that he mentioned. Indeed, it's so low that it's hidden by the automated whisker that comes with the pot. So, whereas I mentioned two lines, Richard is correct that actually there are three lines.

I don't have a discriminating taste, but I don't notice any difference between filling the milk up to the second line or the third line. So, I've been filling to the third line lately. I use no-fat milk, so I'm adding very few calories when doing so.

Have any of you ever had Mexican hot chocolate using Ibarra chocolate?
I'm wondering how the Velvetiser compares to that.
I have had some really good cups of Ibarra.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for the tip! I ordered the Ibarra chocolate.

I haven't tried any chocolate in the Velvetiser other than the chocolate sold by Hotel Chocolat. I have a friend who has celiac disease that understandably doesn't want to try their chocolate because it's not made in a gluten-free environment. He has some chocolate powder that is made in a gluten-free environment that I look forward to trying. I'm comfortable using anything in the Velvetiser that is as small or smaller than the chocolate shavings Hotel Chocolat provides and that will dissolve in the milk. It's apparent that I'll have to chop up the Ibarra chocolate. I'll test it first in hot milk to determine how well it melts before putting it in the Velvetiser.

I would check the Q&A's on the Velvetiser website before putting it in.
They do not recommend using other chocolates other than theirs. If you do want to try it though I would use the directions on the Ibarra and make it on the stovetop.

I would check the Q&A's on the Velvetiser website before putting it in.
I did that a long time ago. They say to use only their chocolate because it's ground up fine enough for use with the Velvetiser. That indicates to me that if the chocolate I use is both fine enough and melts quickly enough, there should be no problem. As one example, when I add flavors to the chocolate, I use only seasonings that dissolve in the liquid, as opposed to herbs because they don't dissolve.

Go Ahead!
Rub it in.
Only a day or two more and I'll be enjoying it myself.
Thanks for the tips on the herbs.
Something I wasn't necessarily thinking about.
Does Velvetiser not offer anything at all gluten free?
If you have a "Mod Pizza" near you, your friend might enjoy that.
They offer a gluten free and dairy free pizza.

None of the ingredients in their chocolates made for making hot chocolate have gluten in them. The problem is that they make that chocolate in the same facility where they do use ingredients that have gluten for making their chocolate candies. It's clear that they don't take the required precautions to ensure that none of the gluten such as gluten in flour spreads to the hot chocolate. Otherwise, they wouldn't urge the caution that they don't guarantee that their hot chocolate is gluten-free.

Last edited:
I received the Velvetiser today.
Packaged quite nicely and is a very good design.
Started off with Salted Caramel and it is well beyond what I expected.
Definitely a good investment.
Cleanup is very quick and easy.
It definitely reminds me of Ibarra but Velvetiser is much better in quality and taste.
Ibarra is a good second choice.

It definitely reminds me of Ibarra but Velvetiser is much better in quality and taste.

Now ya tell me, after I ordered the Ibarra chocolate in a quantity that is equal to 15 packets of the Velvtiser's chocolate. :D

Seriously, my wife noticed that the Ibarra chocolate you brought to our attention is in a powder form even though one of the photos is of a disc of solid chocolate. So, I'll presumably have no issues using it with my Velvetiser without having to chop it up into tiny particles. Does anyone have a Mexican straw hat lying around they can loan me so I can include it as a prop in my next photo? :D

My Ibarra chocolate has arrived. Amazon.com indicates that it's packaged in the form of a powder. Instead, it's packaged as six solid discs 3" in diameter and 9/16" thick. I reported that misinformation to Amazon. This means I'll need to chop the Ibarra chocolate up very finely before using it with the Velvetiser but I don't see that as a problem.

My Ibarra chocolate has arrived. Amazon.com indicates that it's packaged in the form of a powder. Instead, it's packaged as six solid discs 3" in diameter and 9/16" thick. I reported that misinformation to Amazon. This means I'll need to chop the Ibarra chocolate up very finely before using it with the Velvetiser but I don't see that as a problem.

Fooey.
Do you have a cheese grater?
Or break it into pieces, then use a food processor, to make the SMALL pieces.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom