Hot pixels

Is it only me, or are newer sensors/bodies becoming more prone to hot pixels?

I was out taking a few images of ghost fungi last night. Previously I’ve used D7100 and D7200 bodies, and by the end of the evening possibly 15 shots, I could get a couple of hot pixels. I no longer have these bodies, but I do have a D7500, which is basically a new body. Probably taken 50 snapshots in its life. First image last night 1min exposure and at least 6 hot pixels. The evening was cool, possibly 6degC and the camera had acclimatised before I started using it. By the end of the evening there were quite a number of hot pixels. Rather disappointing IMO. I may go back and take one of the Z bodies to see how that goes.

Due to bodies becoming smaller, and processors more powerful, are manufactures cutting down on heat sinks?

EDIT: I should add, the fungi last night was reasonably fresh, so the first 1min test exposure was pretty close, with the rest being 1.5min exposures. As the fungi ages, the glow diminishes. 2~5 min exposures can be the norm. I would not like to use the D7500 like I did with the D7100 and D7200 for the aged fungi.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your're lucky @Palouse, mind you they're not something which usually concerns me. However, when doing long exposures they do become an annoyance.

I was going to go back tonight with one of the Z bodies, but if I do go I will take one of the Fuji's instead. I've done 5min exposures with them in the past with only a few hot pixels, nothing like what the D7500 produced.

Here are a couple of the snaps from last night

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Don't most of the raw converter programs take care of these automatically?

I’m not sure, it’s not something I’ve used previously. I‘m heading out again tonight. Another batch of ghost fungi to try and photograph so will check the software when I process the RAW files.

I took the Z6 out out last night and it performed a lot better than the D7500.

I’m not sure what to look for in the RAW converter to automatically fix the hot pixels. The Z6 had plenty.

In the raw converters I use(d), they just don't show up in the image on screen in the converter and neither in any of the output.
This is from memory when I started with digital and was comparing and deciding on a workflow based on jpg or raw.
On my jpg files, I sometimes noticed hot pixels, never on the raw files.
Since I opted for a raw based workflow, I haven't seen a hot pixel anymore. (my choice wasn't based on this automatic fixing of hot pixels).
I have always used DxO for raw converter after having compared a fair number of converters.

I took the Z6 out out last night and it performed a lot better than the D7500.

I’m not sure what to look for in the RAW converter to automatically fix the hot pixels. The Z6 had plenty.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom