Hot Shoe Diaries...

I ordered my copies of Hot Shoe Diaries and The Moment It Clicks together through amazon.com. Difficult to choose what book to start with. At the moment I'm just switching between both of them.
Both are amazing books.

Thanks guys for the info on the Kelby Training, the McNally training will be a nice companion to this book :)

It's been an interesting read. Seems to me like he's trying to use Dave Hobby's on-assignment approach, and spice it up with Scott Kelby style humor. I think he falls short on both fronts, and comes across as self indulgent and a bit of a braggart. But I've started watching his videos, and he's very likable in them. Goes to show that the media really matters.

With that said, there are some real gems hidden amongst the forced humor and self aggrandizement. For instance, I'm left eyed, which is awkward. But after reading Joe's chapter on the grip and on one handed flash, I'm thrilled to be a lefty :).

W

Wileec

Just another me too - got my copy yesterday, from another NikonCafe member. Looks to be educational and inspirational reading.

It's been an interesting read. Seems to me like he's trying to use Dave Hobby's on-assignment approach, and spice it up with Scott Kelby style humor. I think he falls short on both fronts, and comes across as self indulgent and a bit of a braggart. But I've started watching his videos, and he's very likable in them. Goes to show that the media really matters.

I sort of agree and disagree. I was impressed with his writing skill before I even finished the introduction (Hot Shoe Diaries), and was thinking then "Hot damn, this is going to be good". His humor does always seem an obvious try, but was very workable I thought, no problem for me. Certainly it was nowhere near as lame as Scott Kelby, which is insufferable. McNally seems to have a long list of obvious and impressive accomplishments, its not bragging if you can do it, and they will pay you to do it. :) No problem for me to like him.

But I've been thinking I was the only one not thrilled, as I (temporarily) abandoned it awhile back, half way through it. It was becoming repetitive adventures. And it seems like a very long commercial. I'm curious about what else is in it, and I'll probably go back sometime, but I have lost interest for now. I was not finding the reward I expected from comments of others.

W

Wileec

It was becoming repetitive adventures.

On quick glance, I could see how this might be. I mean really, it's often about setting up a bunch of speed lights to get light where you want it, the way you want it.

I chose to get the book more for idea starters, than anything else. At the end of the day, most of us are not creators, but more like weavers. We glean and pick up bits and pieces here and there, relative to what strikes us. The key is to keep digging and looking for those things that will power that spark of a new way for me to do what I do. To see it differently - to try it differently

I'd say JMs skill is in envisioning how the light needs to be to take the shot he wants, then making it happen with an army of speedlights, etc. But really, it's about the idea of what he is doing more than it's about the mechanics of what he is doing. Few of us have an arsenal of speedlights, skrims, reflectors, etc. to access, but well placed sources, skillfully modified and reflected is no less genius when you or I pull it off than what JM or any other well known photog does it. Perhaps much easier for them to pay their bills and get credit than when you or I do it - but that's not really the point.

"Twleve photographs that matter in a year is a good crop for any photographer." --Ansel Adams

Yeah, but he probably only took a few hundred shots a year. We need to shoot higher. I'd like to think I'll get 10-12 significant compositions out of the 800-1000 snaps I take at a single wedding.

At the end of the day, most of us are not creators, but more like weavers. We glean and pick up bits and pieces here and there, relative to what strikes us.

+1 Well said.

I chose to get the book more for idea starters, than anything else.

Exactly.

Those who are looking for a *How to use speedlights* will be disappointed.

But those who are looking for some inspiration should be able to find something to *jump start* their own creativity. A leg up to get you out of the box, so to speak.

This is a guy who has incredible accomplishments in commercial photography... and his book is billed as titled: it is a Hot Shoe Diary.
These are some of the things he has done with small speedlights.

"Go thou and do likewise" is the underlying meme... not in a cook book sense but in a do something cool sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wileec

Yeah, but he probably only took a few hundred shots a year. We need to shoot higher. I'd like to think I'll get 10-12 significant compositions out of the 800-1000 snaps I take at a single wedding.

That might be. I'm not a commercial photog most of the time. I do some work I'm paid for, but at this point, most of the shooting I do is for me. If I can take 10-12 shots in a year that I really am willing to stand by, I consider that a big deal. Sure, I hope there are dozens of other "creatively correct" exposures in the bag, good composition, etc. But to get a dozen shots that say something universal - to a wide group of people. I think that's pretty tough to do - regardless of one's click count. YMMV

W

Wileec

How does this book compare to the DVD he did for Nikon?

I have both, though have only skimmed the book.

The DVD has two parts to it. The first part is more of a hands on explanation of how to use the speed lights to light a few different scenarios and that part is done by a different photographer. Part two covers three shoots of McNallys and shows some of the process he goes through to set them up. I saw the same three covered in the book as well.

The book has four parts to it, one touching on what he uses and why. Part two, shooting projects with one flash; Part three, shooting projects with two flashes; and part four, shooting projects with "lotsa lights."

The DVD is intended as tutorial on the gear and I found it did a good job of that. It was cool to see them using a D300 and SB-800s (and others) with explanation of what camera and speed light settings to choose for different kinds of situations - most with off camera flash.

I'd say the book is what it's title suggests - diaries - notes on how different kinds of projects were done - not with mechanical recipe-like detail - but more, here's what I was thinking about this shot and how to take it. Occasionally a rough sketch showing how he located stuff relative to the subject.

I would say the two are very different in intent and purpose.

B

bitti

But I've been thinking I was the only one not thrilled, as I (temporarily) abandoned it awhile back, half way through it. It was becoming repetitive adventures. And it seems like a very long commercial.

You are not alone. I finished the book a couple of days ago, with mixed feelings. And I find it difficult to say why. At first I thought it's because of the differences between the American and Scandinavian culture (I'm Finnish), but I'm not sure (since I really like McNally's jokes and writing style).

I did like the book and enjoyed reading it. But it still left me somewhat empty, with a feeling that the style of the book promised more than it actually delivered. But that's just my personal feeling, and it may have been affected by my expectations.

For me the biggest problem was probably that I would have liked the writing style to be more generic. Instead of telling exactly what he did on that particular shoot and what exact equipment he used, it would have been more useful to ponder more generically what's important in lighting that kind of picture, maybe with ideas how to do it with different equipment than he used (David Hobby is good at writing like that). There are a couple of chapters in the book that are written with a more general approach, and those I like very much.

And it seems like a very long commercial.

I agree. It's the way the book never fails to mention brand names, even for quite generic equipment. Or the fact that the SB-900 was zoomed to 200mm. :)

Matti

I have both, though have only skimmed the book.

The DVD has two parts to it. The first part is more of a hands on explanation of how to use the speed lights to light a few different scenarios and that part is done by a different photographer. Part two covers three shoots of McNallys and shows some of the process he goes through to set them up. I saw the same three covered in the book as well.

The book has four parts to it, one touching on what he uses and why. Part two, shooting projects with one flash; Part three, shooting projects with two flashes; and part four, shooting projects with "lotsa lights."

The DVD is intended as tutorial on the gear and I found it did a good job of that. It was cool to see them using a D300 and SB-800s (and others) with explanation of what camera and speed light settings to choose for different kinds of situations - most with off camera flash.

I'd say the book is what it's title suggests - diaries - notes on how different kinds of projects were done - not with mechanical recipe-like detail - but more, here's what I was thinking about this shot and how to take it. Occasionally a rough sketch showing how he located stuff relative to the subject.

I would say the two are very different in intent and purpose.

I agree, and also have both - they've both become a source for me to refer back to and contain awesome information. A good investment for sure.

^ thank you!

No problem.

I also took Joe's sense of humor in the book and videos as a little bit "he doesnt take himself too seriously" instead of "he is full of himself".

So I thought he was pretty geniune and open; I didn't see too much pridefulness or whatever coming out. I've also been watching him weekly on Nikon's D-Town TV and he seems pretty cool/open/honest on those too... ,but that's just MHO. :)

No problem.

I also took Joe's sense of humor in the book and videos as a little bit "he doesnt take himself too seriously" instead of "he is full of himself".

So I thought he was pretty geniune and open; I didn't see too much pridefulness or whatever coming out. I've also been watching him weekly on Nikon's D-Town TV and he seems pretty cool/open/honest on those too... ,but that's just MHO. :)

I agree. I have seen all Joe's videos on Kelby Training and been in several of his seminars. He is actually a very unassuming guy. He even gave my gf (also a photographer) a Justin clamp for helping him out with a demo.

Latest threads

Top Bottom