Hot time on the Big Island

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by DiverX, Feb 17, 2005.

1. My wife and I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks, returned a week ago yesterday. Unfortunately I wound up reinjuring my back (low back) and was not in good shape for about 6 days or so. I managed to get walking enough near the end and pushed myself to hike along the lava flow on the Big Island to where the hot lava was flowing into the Ocean. What a sight it was, I wish I could have been in better shape to capture it in better detail. Here are some snapshots anyway after all I did walk 1.7 miles or more each way in the heat over a lava flow with a bad back so you have to look at them! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot them with a D100, 17-35 or a 200-400VR which I also carried with me! I wanted to go back near sunset but the back said no. :cry:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Absolutely gorgeous George!!

I've had back problems in the past, so I know how uncomfortable you must have been. Must have been really frustrating to have it act up on your vacation.... :?

Thanks for posting these great shots. :D

Frank

3. Wow George, that is quite a sight. It's pretty amazing when you think of all that molten rock just flowing into the ocean. You have captured it well and given us a treat. Hope your back gets better.

4. Fantastic George! I remember well, did the same walk last summer although the lava was not flowing into the ocean at that time. Man, I can't even imagine doing it with a bad back...it was hard enough with a halfway decent back!

5. Great shots!

Very nice George! That 200-400 must be something else huh? Do you hand-hold it?

I hope the back gets better. Have you consulted with Nikon Cafe's very own BackDoctor, a.k.a.. Harris? :wink:

6. Hi Folks!

Getting ready for work, busy week but almost over! :)

Thanks for the nice words. I was a bit disappointed with my photos from the trip because I was not in very good spirits with the back problem and taking some muscle relaxers. These came out pretty nice but I wish I could tdo it over. Anyway, I was handholding the 200-400 here, I didn't want to lug a tripod and head as well. I do both handholding for short periods and using a tripod with it. It is a sweet lens!!

I think Backdock should come with us next trip! :lol: