1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hot Truck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by midocr, Aug 11, 2008.

1. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    I have to take my gear with me to work tomorrow because I am going directly to my daughter's tennis match from work. What are everyone's thoughts on leaving camera equipment in a hot car or truck in the summer? There is no shade. It's only supposed to be mid 70s tomorrow, but still gets pretty hot in the truck. Also what kind of heat range can these cameras (and lenses) actually function in?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  2. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Put it in a cooler...

It should protect it a bit from the heat, as well as possibly disguise it a bit.

3. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Put it in an insulated cooler?

edit: Sorry, I just noticed Micky's title.

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    70s isn't bad, but it could easily still top a hundred in your truck. No way would I do it! Plus, unless your parking lot is security patrolled, again, uh-uh. I you HAVE to do it, I would agree with the cooler suggestion, plus I'd cover it with a space blanket or at least a white sheet.

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Nope I wouldn't leave my baby (camera) in my car not even for a nano - second. Metal expands and contracts.

One time after a shoot (my son went with me to assist), and afterward he wanted to go to the mall for some clothes and I told hm that we had to go home to leave the camera...he said he would carry it. Two hours later we lugged that thing with the 70-200 lens on it.

Those are my thoughts for what it's worth.

6. Wow, I'm surprised more people don't keep their camera in a vehicle. My D70, then D200, now D300 only leave my truck in Tennessee in the coldest winter weather and then only at night. I'd hate to damage one but they are to be used and that doesn't happen if they are at home.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I carry my stuff into the office with me. It stays in my Fastpack 350 with my laptop.

8. I'm an auto electrician by trade , most damage seems to be in colder areas where condensation takes place . New Zealand is a pretty damp place so I leave my gear in the hot water cylinder cupboard to keep it warm and dry . Electronics seem to last longer in warmer areas, I think the idea of a cooler is the best to protect it from extremes .

9. Hey, Send some of that weather down here to this Chattanooga boy stuck in TX. The cooler is the best option other that taking it in side at work. I will be shooting football tomorrow (today) and the temp will be about 95-98. The cameras (D3 & D2Xs) and lenses get pretty hot even to the touch. I keep a white towel on them it help some. But 70 as a high, God I miss home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.