1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hotel has "High Speed Internet"....help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob Walters, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I'm going to take an 11 day train/photo trip of the western US this summer and I'll be staying in some relatively fancy hotels, all of which feature "High Speed Internet" service.

I quit being a road warrior some years ago (pre wifi) and I'm not sure what I need for my wifi enabled laptop to take advantage of this service. Do I need any wires? Can I expect service in my room or only in the lobby, for example?:confused: 

Any traveling tips would be appreciated.

2. You need nothing

The beauty of wifi, wireless, is that you just need to ask at the lobby for the code if any. I travel a bit and can't be without internet too long, even in Australia in the smallest hotels they all had wireless Internet - real easy, ask at the lobby. Some places charge for it - most are free and you'd be surprised to know that the more expense and fancy the place the more likely hood they are to charge for it... At Motel Mom in Australia on a back road at $90 a night - internet = free at the Sydney Intercontinental which was $300 a night - internet = $21.99 for 24 hours... Go figure... :confused: 

3. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I recently spent a month travelling in the U.S.
    "High Speed Internet" was available at 99% of the places I stayed at.
    But "Internet" would be a more accurate way of describing it, at best all were 1MB/second.
    Your home internet connection will probably be faster, no matter what time of the day/night you connect.
    You shouldn't need a cable, but I always carry one just in case.

4. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I like to stay at Best Western, they always have free internet and some others charge for it. "High Speed Internet" usually means WiFi but I have been to a few that have a wired connection in the room. I would recommend bringing an Ethernet cable just in case. The wireless ones seem to work well but some rooms have better service than others so ask them to put you in a room with good internet. Also, do not expect the staff to be able to help you with the internet connections but they sometimes have a help line they can call. Enjoy your trip.
    Pete

5. fewer and fewer hotels charge for internet access
    it's pretty much considered "standard" in the US

recently, we stayed in a sheraton
    that corporation continues to charge for it

at the desk, when checking out in the morning
    when presented with the bill...
    my wife said...
    "no one charges for the internet anymore.... we aren't going to pay for it."

the lady said
    "yes, ma'am" and took it off the bill

i said nothing
    my wife usually isn't so vocal

6. I have been in internet friendly hotels all over and would definitely recommend taking a ethernet cable. You may not need it but if you do the time *to find and purchase) and hassle factor outweigh any extra weight of the cable. Just my 2 cents worth
    Enjoy your trip!!

7. Most hotels will provide with a cable but I always bring a longer cable so that I can work on the sofa or bed.

8. Just what I wanted to know. Thanks for bringing me into the 21st century.

9. Hi Bob,

You should be able to find websites for each of the hotels using Google. That site should tell you if the internet access is 1) free or fee, and 2) wireless or wired (need an ethernet cable).

It seems like the lower price hotels have free access and the high-priced places often have a fee for access. It does not make sense.

---
    Curious question - are you going on the American Orient Express?

Bob & Nan

10. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Exactly what I have found too...

11. I would second this, stayed in a brand new chain hotel this summer, and no wireless expect in the lobby, a E cable was available for no charge, my guess was that since this was a beach front hotel, they figured that few people would bring their computers.

12. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    As has already been mentioned, the more expensive the hotel the greater is the chance they will charge you for it. Just tell then you are not going to pay for the use of the internet (at check out only otherwise they may not give you the password to connect) after the high price you have already paid for the room and it almost always works. Internet has become an integral part of our daily lives and very few places charge for internet these days. Most of them have already factored that into the price of the rooms.

13. Bob,

If there's a Penera Bread of Hotel near your, just walk in with your laptop and experience it before you go.

14. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Here's a challenge....try going for eleven whole days without the internet. :biggrin:

15. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Definitly try it before travel, local hotel, pc dealer, or Starbucks. Lots of places with wireless. Some notebooks have a on-off switch for the wireless, and it may require adjusting a setting or two. So if you really need to count on it get setup before you leave.

16. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Most places I've stayed that offer free WiFi have only strong signals in rooms near the lobby so you would be better off to take a cable and take advantage of the better signal strength through the wired connection.

17. menbrial

menbrial

Apr 30, 2006
    colorado
    Certainly not, if the hotel is WIFI u wont have a better signal trrough a wired connection...

Wifi stength signal strong only near lobby: thats means only the lobby is wireless, if you want to have the whole hotel wireless other relays and routers need to be added in all areas...( im chief engineer in a 300+ rooms hotel we added 4 relays by floor in plus of the 7 we have in the lobbies in order to have WIFI in every single rooms, conference center also have WIFI but we added cables in all conferences rooms , plus other realys in restaurants and bars to have them wireless too)

18. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Free Internet does NOT mean free wi-fi...

Bring a cable, preferably a 25-foot long cable.

My experience has been Free Internet means you can connect via a cable in the room.

Free Wi-Fi means free wireless access, which can be as slow as death depending on the location of the WAP.

Better yet, leave the computer at home and use a cell phone.

You are on vacation after all...

19. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Great suggestion for him. I am at Panera Bread right now...

20. bcoons

bcoons

Dec 6, 2007
    Central Texas
    I travel quite a bit and generally stay at the higher priced business hotels (Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Omni, etc.). They usually charge for internet access (I've paid up to $47/day in Frankfurt) because they cater to businessmen who can just add the charge to their expense voucher. Smaller, family oriented hotels are generally free, even in Europe. It's a marketing draw, and most families on vacation can't just expense the costs of internet access.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.