Houston we have a problem - 35/f2 or 24/2.8 ???

I will most likely go with the 35mm but what would you do?

I have been hit with an unforseen bill as such I will have to delay the purchase of the 17-55 but I need a widder angle lens right now - would you get a 35 or the 24? Shooting style... People on the street and bands in dark bars...

[Edit] Sorry I meant the 24/2.8

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
35's gonna give you one stop more light - that'll make the difference between a hand-holdable 1/15 sec. and a blurry 1/8 second exposure time. 28's gonna give you deeper depth of field and slightly wider as well. Neither one is a wide angle on your dslr. What do you think about the 20 f/2.8? That will be moderately wide, and is still a small lens.

I hear the 28 2.8 isnt a very sharp lens. havent really heard one good word about it tell the truth. I would totally go for the 35 F2.0 its my very next lens for sure. my only other thought would be the sigma 28 1.8 which gets decent reviews and is a little cheaper than the 35 F2.0. but I am trying to stick to oem glass from now on.

35's gonna give you one stop more light - that'll make the difference between a hand-holdable 1/15 sec. and a blurry 1/8 second exposure time. 28's gonna give you deeper depth of field and slightly wider as well. Neither one is a wide angle on your dslr. What do you think about the 20 f/2.8? That will be moderately wide, and is still a small lens.

That's what I was thinking... Widder apperture is always good.

I have both, and I still prefer the 35mm.

Thanks - This means I will most likely prefer the 35 as well.

I hear the 28 2.8 isnt a very sharp lens. havent really heard one good word about it tell the truth. I would totally go for the 35 F2.0 its my very next lens for sure. my only other thought would be the sigma 28 1.8 which gets decent reviews and is a little cheaper than the 35 F2.0. but I am trying to stick to oem glass from now on.

I will look into the Sigman good suggestion.

What I'm finding is that at f/2.8, the 35mm is definitely sharper, doesn't have the vignetting that the 28mm does, and just seems like a better lens.

Mind you, I do have an older version of the 28mm (non-D) so I'm not sure if the newer D versions would be that much better.

I've a 24 f/2 AIS that has rewarded me time and again with some great shoots. It's got huge DOF and for most shoots leaving it set at infinity at anything but wide open gives me wonderfull shoots. I use it a "street lens" it's compact light easy to carry in your jacket pocket and it's fast speed is great indoors. It was a very expensive lens when current but today you should be able to find one for the price of a 35 f/2 AFD.

Consider the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, the fastest lens out of the lot and sharper than the Nikon 35mm. It does cost a fair amount more though, but has the really fast aperture and HSM focusing (it focuses very well in low light, just what it was designed for I suppose).

It's main disadvantages are it's weight and that it doesn't focus as close as the Nikon 35mm.

I owned the 35 F2 AIS and it was the absolute sharpest lens I ever had. My 24mm F2.8 is nice because it's a little wider, but it's not quite as sharp. The 35 F2 just gives prettier pictures in my opinion. I regret selling it very very VERY much!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom