Houston??

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Minuteman3, Apr 3, 2007.

1. My wife is attending a three day seminar in Houston late this month, and my son (8 years old) and I will be tagging along. While she is slaving away learning how to become a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Ryan and I will rent a car and explore. Tentatively planning to head down to the NASA area on Friday, but have not made any firm plans for the Saturday-Sunday we'll be there.

Let's see, in addition to space and airplanes, he loves dinosaurs, NASCAR, and refuses to eat anything that's green in color!! I love space stuff, car stuff, airplanes, wide open spaces, and BBQ.

So, any suggestions?

(Also let's take into consideration that he's 8 and I'm 57 :biggrin:)

I will have the D80++ in my bag !!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!

Ken

2. JDar

JDar

Jan 28, 2007
    TX/NM
    Ken,

The NASA day you planned is a great place to start for you and your son. That area is pretty with lots of yacht basins, houses, and businesses on the shores of Clear Lake. Also, when you are in that area it's a short drive on down to Galveston island and Moody Gardens, Confederate Air Force Museum at Scholes Field (both same area) and visiting the Elysa sailing ship, a submarine, and numerous historic homes if that interests you. Good place to eat on the seawall is Gaidos.

In Houston there is a permanent dinosaur exhibit at the Museum of Natural Science and one of my favorites, the gem and mineral display, while photogenic things abound in the general area of that museum and the park across the street.

If you enjoy competitive driving Beltway 8 is considered the most NASCAR-like venue but with the worst citizen drivers (a little kidding there,) and I don't really don't know what you can find here re NASCAR.

Enjoy your visit and pm me any questions.

Joe

3. There is the High Island Rookery - Great White Egret hatchings have arrived. Snowy Egrets and Spoonbills have yet to breed. Here is a link (maps inside the links within)

http://www.texasbirding.net/location.htm#high-island

BTW, take LOTS of mosquito spray and watch out for the gators (seriously!)