Hover flies and others.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Tried out the reversed 28 with the 36 mm kenko tube, SB-800 for lighting f8 1/500.

Hand held so my keeper ratio was pretty low.

First one is a crop and the second one is full.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some spider patterns.
    [​IMG]

Shiny colorful beetle, he was alive and active so I placed him in a white plastic container with the flashes on the outside, hard to get any decent contrast when the body reflects the container. This was with the 200 f4 micro. 1/500 f22
    [​IMG]

Comments, questions and critiques welcome.

Rumours of a new Nikon macro flash coming, I think I might be interested.

Martin

2. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    ok thats way to close for me..the beatle is nice.. the others are extreme.. nice stuff...

3. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Facinating ! :eek:
    I got to try these technique

Ben

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Well done, Martin. I especially like the first one, sharp, excellent detail.

5. Thanks for the comments Tim, Ben and Jerry.

Martin

6. Martin, I wonder how much closer you will still go.

In case of the beetle (ground beetle, genus Bembidion - in case you want to know), the reflected container helped to bring out the metallic colors. Also, the glossy, structureless surface is always a problem to capture, nothing to fix for accurate fosusing.

Anyway, marvellous work again.
    Cheers

7. Martin, I wonder how much closer you will still go.

In case of the beetle (ground beetle, genus Bembidion - in case you want to know), the reflected container helped to bring out the metallic colors. Also, the glossy, structureless surface is always a problem to capture, nothing to fix for accurate focussing.

Anyway, marvellous work again.
    Cheers

8. Thanks for the info Harry, always nice to know what they are.

The closest I have gone is with the 28 stacked on the 200 f4 micro, its hard finding a subject thin enough even with a focus rail and magnified viewfinder pretty hard to get anything useful.

These were just playing around shots to see what it could do and to see how practical it was. These are uncropped, works out to 12:1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Martin