Hoverflies Paradise with the 200mm micro

Lots of hover flies having a party in my garden this year. So plenty of opportunities to use the 200mm f.4 micro. All taken with tripod and remote release.

As you can see they are having a party. :smile:

This one is cleaning itself after a mild rain shower.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Making new hover flies.

original.jpg

original.jpg

A spectator

original.jpg

But no paradise without a snake. In this case it's the Coenosia tigrina fly. Dispite it's small size it's an aggresive predator and will attack even a hover fly twice his size if he gets the chance.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Real Name
Alex
Outstanding quality images. Well done Torben!
Wish I could afford it. It costs as much as the 70-200VR and it would be a difficult decision once I save enough for one of the two. I'm always lusting for the 70-200VR but these images make me lust for this one too.

Excellent shots Torben...nice and sharp!

Thanks Anthony.

Outstanding quality images. Well done Torben!
Wish I could afford it. It costs as much as the 70-200VR and it would be a difficult decision once I save enough for one of the two. I'm always lusting for the 70-200VR but these images make me lust for this one too.

Thanks Alex. I know how it is. I would love to have the 70-200mm too, but as I have the 80-200 my needs are well covered with that. I bought the 200mm micro from Patrick B, our founding father. He didn't mind sending it to Denmark. It was like new and with taxes I got for half the price of a new one here in Denmark.

Wow. Nice pictures, Torben. What was the approximate shooting distance?

Hi Daniel and thanks. I would say I was about 30-35 cm's from the subjects.

Incredible, incredible shots. Yeah, it's a crazy sharp lens...but not anybody can get shots like that with that lens....that takes some skill. Just wanted to point out since there's so many "awesome lens" comments when it's really the "awesome photographer" that knows how to properly use that lens that makes the shots great.

Kudos to you, and I hope if I ever get a lens like that, that I am able to learn to use it as well as you do.

Torgen, these are stunning! Incredible sharpness and rich natural color.

These made me look back at a bunch of your previously-posted images. Wow.

Part of what makes your images so great is that sharpness doesn't seem to fall off so quickly as it does in much macro photography. It looks like you're very good at macro 101 - keep your subject plane parallel to the camera plane - but you also seem to have more DOF than I've been getting with my 105VR. Do the 200mm and 300mm lenses you seem to use most give you advantages in that regard over shorter lenses?

If you feel like someone is looking over your shoulder from now on, that'll be me. Thanks for this inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really superb work - as usual - Torben. Perfect focus and expert composition. A delight to view :biggrin:
My regards to the dogs!!

Hi Charilie. Thanks for your comment. The dogs are fine. A couple of them are getting old like me though.

So sharp! Awesome shots. So much detail.

Thank you for your comment.

Wow, super sharp and clean. Everything about these images is fantastic.

Thank you Will. I'm glad you liked them.

Incredible, incredible shots. Yeah, it's a crazy sharp lens...but not anybody can get shots like that with that lens....that takes some skill. Just wanted to point out since there's so many "awesome lens" comments when it's really the "awesome photographer" that knows how to properly use that lens that makes the shots great.

Kudos to you, and I hope if I ever get a lens like that, that I am able to learn to use it as well as you do.

Thanks Nate. Patience, light and no wind are pretty important factors to make a nice shot.

Torgen, these are stunning! Incredible sharpness and rich natural color.

These made me look back at a bunch of your previously-posted images. Wow.

Part of what makes your images so great is that sharpness doesn't seem to fall off so quickly as it does in much macro photography. It looks like you're very good at macro 101 - keep your subject plane parallel to the camera plane - but you also seem to have more DOF than I've been getting with my 105VR. Do the 200mm and 300mm lenses you seem to use most give you advantages in that regard over shorter lenses?

If you feel like someone is looking over your shoulder from now on, that'll be me. Thanks for this inspiration.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I alway try to find what I consider the best angle to the object. With the 300mm I'm mostly shooting dragonflies. I mostly use f8 to f11 depending on the subject and background. When using the 200mm for smaller creatures I need to stop further down for more DOF. I used to shoot with a 105mm in my early macro days but needed more reach for skittish insect. Given the same shooting distance and f-stop the shorter lens will give more DOF. To get the same magnification you will have to get closer to the object and the DOF evens out I guess.

I love the sharpness of these. I realy need a macro with longer reach than 50mm lol

Hi Torben!

Great series! Hovers are nice although I´m very happy I´m not that intereseted in them as there´re many species and many of them are really difficult to tell which one...

Latest threads

Top Bottom