Hovering Kestrel

American kestrels are proving to be very difficult for me. This is the closest I have been to a bird that didn't spook. It was hovering in the wind. But, it was very gray with little light. The bird allowed me to exit the vehicle and lean the lens on the side mirror.

5509757687_b7fdba295a_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's an awesome shot :wink: The Kestrels are so skittish, I know the feeling. Just about every other span between utility poles have these little ones looking from above for prey, you get a little too close, they fly down a few spans or just circle back. If you visit the area enough, they'll eventually become a little more tolerable.

That's an awesome shot :wink: The Kestrels are so skittish, I know the feeling. Just about every other span between utility poles have these little ones looking from above for prey, you get a little too close, they fly down a few spans or just circle back. If you visit the area enough, they'll eventually become a little more tolerable.

Thanks. I liked this one because he was looking at me. I admit they have worn me out with their game of musical perches.

Nice shooting and I know from experience you have to be quick on the trigger to get a Kestrel shot perched let alone in flight.

Thanks, Louis. It looks like we may have light once again around here the next couple of days. Maybe I'll get another chance.

D

DW Brewer

Tough light or not, that is an awesome image. I second Louis above.

Nice job, I really love these guys even if they are hard to photograph. Just have to keep at it!

Michael

I would be pleased as punch with this shot Aaron! I still to this day don't have a Kestrel shot. Soon as I spot one and slow down in a vehicle, they bolt. Good job.

*IF* I manage to catch a kestrel so that it's bigger than a tiny blob in the middle of the photo, what I usually have is the rear end of the bird! And usually a not-in-focus rear end at that.

Nice work!

--Sarah

Nice catch! So hard to do.

Thanks. I still hope I get another chance.

*IF* I manage to catch a kestrel so that it's bigger than a tiny blob in the middle of the photo, what I usually have is the rear end of the bird! And usually a not-in-focus rear end at that.

Nice work!

--Sarah

I got lucky with this one. He was hovering and looking for food on a gloomy day. I shot about a dozen shots. He was looking my way on only a few of them.

You'll will see, they will always be looking at you :biggrin: You are a predator to them :biggrin: But like I mentioned, they become a little more tolerant.

He was mostly preoccupied with hunting. He only glanced my way after I exited the vehicle. I'll keep working on them, though.

I would be pleased as punch with this shot Aaron! I still to this day don't have a Kestrel shot. Soon as I spot one and slow down in a vehicle, they bolt. Good job.

Thanks, Jason. I just wish I had more light. If I try to do much with this, the shadows really get muddy and noisy. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with a smaller print.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom