How about lens creep with those Black Rapid etc. straps?

Hey there,

I've noticed that lenses that suffer from lens creep will show it more often when you're using a strap like Black Rapid, Luma Loop etc.

Those of you with lens creep lenses and such straps, what do you do about it? Just leave them "hanging out there"?

I was just wondering about dust/dirt getting on the lens barrel when you're walking "zoomed out" most of the time.

Why would the strap make a lens creep more?? Gravity causes creep. If anything a camera hanging from the tripod mount will balance better than one hanging from the frame horns. Dust in or on a pumper zoom is best avoided by not using one. GH

If you use a RS mounted to the bottom of the camera, the lens is pointed down. Given some time, my 18-200 will creep, I just don't worry about it.

GH41 - I'm guessing, like cbbr says, because the lens will point somewhat down. That may also happen to some degree with a strap that hangs from the "frame horns", depending on the strap and lens, I imagine.

I just find that it creeps more often when I'm walking with my Luma Loop (tripod mount) than with my should strap.

What lens is giving you the problem? Have you tried the rubberband trick? GH

It's the 24-120mm f4.

I didn't thought about the rubber band trick, but I've heard about it before (back when I was researching the 18-200mm VR). I'm guessing it has to be quite a strong rubber band, to really make a difference?

I had the same problem with a 18-200 so I ordered a few custom wristbands.
(Black color with my website on them).
I used one of these on the 18-200. Hardly shows and looks professional if someone actually takes a look at it.

And it works!

Just Google "custom wristbands" and you'll find a bunch of dealers.
I'm sure EBay has some also.

I think I paid $12-$15 for 3 wristbands.

LeeF, how "strong" should they be? I'm not sure how much they might stretch and so on, to actually make a difference.

Would love to see a photo of your "setup" though :) Also just to make sure where to actually place it on the lens, as I'm not totally sure about that part.

That is my one major complaint about the 24-120 f/4, I really wish it had a zoom lock like the 28-300. Even the much cheaper Tamron 24-135 has a zoom lock. Even though I don't use a BR strap, I do like to have the camera out and ready to shoot while hiking. I wish I didn't have to worry about the 24-120 zooming itself out. I guess the 24-135 will be used in the harshest environs instead.

I had the same problem with a 18-200 so I ordered a few custom wristbands.
(Black color with my website on them).
I used one of these on the 18-200. Hardly shows and looks professional if someone actually takes a look at it.

And it works!

Just Google "custom wristbands" and you'll find a bunch of dealers.
I'm sure EBay has some also.

I think I paid $12-$15 for 3 wristbands.

That's the best idea so far in more than just one way...! :cool:

I googled and there are places that will sell them customized, with selections
of different materials/widths, for as little as 10-15 cents apiece in quantities
of 100 so you could hand the extras out to potential customers/fans...

Thanks for mentioning that...!
ThumbsUp.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lens creep? Not heard of this before and until I read the post I thought it must refer to Paparazzi or just a nuisance with a camera :wink:

Lens creep? Not heard of this before and until I read the post I thought it must refer to Paparazzi or just a nuisance with a camera :wink:

You obviously never bought on ebay any of the 3 18-200's I sold because of this same problem,LOL I find the 24-120 f4 much better.

Thanks for the link. Forgive me but I'm a wristband newbie, how stretchable are those silicone wrist bands? If they just fit the 18-200mm then I think they'll be too small for the 24-120mm which is bigger.

I did not check and see if there were larger sizes or not. I believe the one I got would stretch more. I will check and get back with my findings.

LeeF, how "strong" should they be? I'm not sure how much they might stretch and so on, to actually make a difference.

Would love to see a photo of your "setup" though :) Also just to make sure where to actually place it on the lens, as I'm not totally sure about that part.

I checked and it stretches a fair amount more. I have it on my 18-200mm Nikon lens.

Fixed. Finally found a piece of rubber that did the trick. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit wider though, but this works... it doesn't cover the zoom-ring on the upper-side, but it does on the lower-side and that seems to be a good compromise between stopping lens creep while not making the zoom too hard to turn. This ain't pretty but I only need it when I'm out photo-walking...

nikon_zoom_lens_creep_fix.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 877209

Latest threads

Top Bottom