How about Nikon Cafe group buys?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mf44, Jan 4, 2006.

1. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hi folks,

In the past I've participated in group buys on other message boards for all sorts of items from performance wheels and tires to MP3 players. I'm wondering if maybe a Nikon Cafe group buy might be something we could try and get together. Something like memory cards are universal enough that we all need/want them and I'm wondering if we could strike a quantity deal on one specific one from a retailer such as Roberts. What do you guys think? They can work a number of different ways. To make it safest we'd need to deal with a retailer that would agree to handle all the transactions provided we could get together a large enough group of confirmed buyers. Input anyone?

I know I'd love to buy 2 or 3 more 2GB Extreme IIIs, especially if we can get them for a bit of a discount.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Cf cards and D200 batteries :>)))))

3. LOL Gale - D200s!

Really though I am interested perhaps?

4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I'm in a definetly need more CF cards since the wife took up the hobby

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Guys,

Glad to see some interest. I'm not quite sure of all the details because a) I've never run one myself and b) many times it depends on the retailer we do business with. When I get some free time I'm going to call some place and see what I can figure out. Paul, I'd assume as long as you'd pay shipping it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not positive.

7. I'm always interested in a deal..... cf cards....batteries etc.

8. Great idea, but I'm not sure it's practical for logistical and other reasons.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Eric

I am interested in those :>)))

10. Well, you are the second person interested... I have someone out here in LALA land that wants a set also...

11. CF cards sound like a good start to me...

I'm in for a CF card buy. Something fast and big (but not too big) would be great.

Dave

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    On another thread here, Dave Birdsong asks if we print images much at home. If we are ever able to purchase something and get a group discount rate, I would really appreciate a discount on Epson inks for my R1800. At about $120 for a set ($99 while on sale), I would certainly print more often if the inks and paper were a bit cheaper.

13. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Guys,

I got in touch with Roberts. They said this is something they could do, but they'd need an idea of the quantity before they can give us concrete pricing. Obviously the more people we have in on an order, the cheaper. I was told he would give me a special password that everyone in the group buy would use, then you just call them and order it at the discounted rate. There would be a limited amount of time, too. So, now we just need to actually get folks together. Where am I supposed to advertise this on the forum? It's not a private individual selling it, but it's not really being put together by a retailer, per se.

14. Good folks to deal with. Would this be setup as one "limited time" password for a specific product, say 2gb CF Cards? Or a more general discount kind of thing? I really like the idea of us ordering ourselves, that really clears up any logistics issues, other then setting up the deal in the first place.

As to "where", I would think the For Sale forum would be the right place. A WTB notice for a specific item, such as 2gb CF cards not that this is a hint mind you :wink: , with a limited time to respond which would give you an idea of interest. If Roberts could give a general ballpark on what kind of percentage discount, that might help to incent people to commit as well.

So, that's MY 2 cents worth anyway.....

15. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Bill,

I have never had any problems from Roberts so I figured I'd get in touch with them. Basically, the limited time password would be for a specific item, and it seems like the most interest would be in a CF card around 2GB. I've emailed Roberts back to see if I can get any sort of ball park figure. I'll let everyone know what I hear back.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I would bet Berger Bros would be most interested in offering us a volume discount as well :>)))

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

18. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Gale, good idea. I didn't think about them. I'll get in touch with them as well.

Paul, I think we'll manage to figure something out. My main concern was that the For Sale Forum was not the right place for this, since it technically isn't a private sale.

19. I'd certainly be interested in a CF card purchase. I've been watching eBay for 2Gig cards anyway.