1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How about these Sigma Lenses.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by PWPhoto, Apr 7, 2007.

1. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    Craigslist Ad.

Are these any good or worth the prices? i tried to look them up but i couldnt find these models online...

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Considering you can get a used Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM for marginally more on here, I wouldn't even consider the 70-210. But I don't have any experience with either of those lenses.

3. I'd agree that both are overpriced, especially considering their age (circa early to mid '90s). The original Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 is known particularly known for lacking sharpness. The original 70-200mm f/2.8 APO is also known for very slow focus. There's also a good chance one or both would need to be re-chipped to work properly with digital bodies.

I picked up a 70-200mm f/2.8 EX D HSM for $500 and 28-70mm f/.8 EX D DF for $165, both here at the Cafe. If you look around you can do much better than these from craigslist.

4. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

I agree as well. I got a 70-200 f/2.8 HSM (the non-DG version, same as the one that Stephen has) for $500, and I'm quite happy with it. AF isn't quite as fast as Nikon's AF-S, but it's really quiet, and definitely faster than screw-driven lenses. If you're going to spend $425 on a lens that old, you might as well spend the extra $75 and get something that is worth the price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.