How are Gitzo's "g-lock" tripods?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by adaml, Aug 18, 2008.

1. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I have a Gitzo 1327 with the "twistlock" legs. Like a lot of people I still get confused sometimes about which way to twist to open and close, and where to start, top or bottom, to shorten or lengthen the leg sections.

Otherwise it's a terrific tripod and is still working just fine after 4 years and several hundred field trips. But the new g-lock tripods are intriguing because they seem to do away with the whole one-way pattern for open, closing, shortening or lengthening the leg sections.

Has anyone compared twistlock vs. g-lock?

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I sold my old faithful Gitzo 1325 and bought the new anti-rotation G-Lock 6X replacement.

It is fantastic! Much faster to open. One twist and all legs drop open at once; snug them and you are ready to go. The anti-rotation feature really helps; you no longer have to fight an over tightened leg which rotates while other sections rotate. That used to be very frustrating. There are no drawbacks to the much improved system.

The 6X CF is much more stable, as well. Flexing is gone.

I highly recommend the G-Lock series of tripods and monopods. I was pleasantly surprised at the high resale value the Gitzo tripods and monopods had maintained, here in the Cafe. This is the place I would list your 1327. :wink:

Good luck!

3. I take it that the 1327 didn't have anti-twist legs (Gitzo's "ALR" feature)?

If so, run, don't walk, and upgrade to a newer Gitzo. I think ALR is a more significant feature than G-Lock IMHO.

I recently upgraded from an old 1228 to a GT3541LS. G-Lock means only a slight twist is needed to lock the leg -- no more uncertain over-tightening. I can lengthen the leg on an already set-up tripod easier. However -- I still get confused on what direction to turn the lock.

The Anti-Leg Rotation feature means I no longer have to open/close locks in a very specific order and a very specific degree of tightness. The 1228 used to drive me insane with this. No matter how many times I tried, there'd inevitably be a time when I didn't quite tighten the lock above "the right way," so when I tried loosening the lock below, the leg would spin.

The only downside to G-Lock is that the legs seem stiffer in the locks -- more effort is needed to pull them out/push them back in. Supposedly this is the tighter tolerances of the stifer, closer-fitting G-Lock. Maybe they'll loosen up over time, as my 1228 was much smoother in this regard.

4. I'll echo the high-resale value, and that includes eBay. With Gitzo rebates and Microsoft Cashbacks on eBay, my 1228 to GT3541LS upgrade cost was $25. :eek: 

5. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Thanks to all for the info and the positive news not only about g-lock but also ALR.

Anyone know which current Gitzo tripod with g-lock is equivalent to the 1327?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.