How can I do this shot better?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I used this clamp-on desk lamp & whatever ambient light was around to illuminate this shot. But, was forced to sue HI-1 (ISO 1600) to get anything vieable. Could I get some suggestions to do this better, ie, setup, better lighting, better shot angle, whatever else you can think of. Used a cable release to trigger shutter when my son dropped a Hershey's Kiss into the water bowl.
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 60 mm
    Exposure Time 1/250 sec
    Aperture f/9.5
    ISO Equivalent 1600
    Exposure Bias +1/3
    White Balance incandescent (3)
    Metering Mode center weighted

2. Hi Steve,

I think I would try a flash cutting across the image at 45 degrees on the right to isolate the subject from the background.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    It never occurred to me to use my flash

but now that you mention it, I will give that a shot. I have a longish cord SC17? that I can get it a ways off the camera with. Good idea, thanks Gordon.

4. Couple things come to mind...

1) Faster shutter speed? Not sure if the flash can sync any faster with that combo, but the motion blur of the water drops makes me think it might look better that way.

2) Also, not sure how much of the water in the bowl you want to highlight, but as Todd did in this pic:

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=612

...you could put something behid the bowl (not above the waterline, though) that would brighten that part of the image.

Let us see what you end up with! I learn a lot through this kind of discussion. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    From what I've read, most of the splashes you see in slick mags are plastic props.

But photographically, have you tried backlighting, so the water acts as a lens to concentrate the light?

6. Yup, highlights on the glass and water is what you want to try and get - so you will need lights up and behind you. Bg soft lights are also good for the big reflections. Also try putting the bowl on a glass table or light table - play with light from below (colored and such)