How can I shoot a G lens on an old Nikon manual camera

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bennettskaya, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    This is probably a question that has been asked and answered a thousand times, but I can't find the answer.

I have a Nikon 12-24mm G lens which I use on my D200. I have been thinking to use it on my Nikon FM2n when it dawned on me that there is no aperture ring and therefore no way to change aperture.

Any ideas, because I would love to use the lens to shows its true wide capabilities.

I know there may be an issue with vignetting, but I will chance that and choose subject matter that would make that less of an issue.

Thanks in advance.

:confused: 

2. ora-et-labora

ora-et-labora

Mar 15, 2008
    Earth
    As far as I know, you can use it only with open aperture. But not sure on this.

3. i believe 18-24 can be used on film or FX. Aperture wise, I don't think you can adjust it.

4. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Supplementary Question: Would I damage the lens on the camera by trying to mount a G lens on an Fm2n?

5. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I don't think so. There's nothing to be damaged - there's just no way of controlling the aperture.

I've used a Sigma 10-20 on my F before, you just have to know that it's going to be all the way stopped down (f/22-32 or around there) and you should probably meter first on the digital stopped down and then shoot it on the film. Since it's a DX lens the 12-18 part of it or around there will be cut off.

6. Alex Ratson

Alex Ratson Guest

I do this quite often when using Nikkors on Arri and Panasonic film/HD cameras.

The way I have gotten around this is using gaff tape to tape the aperture step down lever on the lens to the ruff aperture I want. I cannot get it dead on but I can easily ball park the aperture I am after. Works great if there is not a aperture pull in the shot although you would never run into that when shooting stills.
    Just be sure to apply a liberal amount of tape to the lever as you do not want it to slowly drift over your shoot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.