1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How can I tell if a used film scanner is working correctly?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Big Daddy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. I purchased a used film scanner from a very nice local Craigslister. She says I can return it back within three days if I find any issues with it. So I have to get the testing done this weekend.

Unfortunately a lot of what I want to scan -- some slides from my father-in-law -- won't be available until we go over for July 4th weekend. Until then all I have are some 9-year old negatives shot with a Olympus Stylus point-and-shoot using Kodacolor ISO 400 film, processed by a mass-market shop (Mystic Color Lab).

Thus I'm not sure how to tell if I'm getting a "good scan." Here's a sample scan. Digital ICE turned on (seems to work wonders as there is a lot of dust without it). No other in-scanner processing, or post-processing. Just 8-bit TIF to JPEG conversion.

321766441_ZUMJB-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And if anyone's interested, a link to the very large original, in JPEG format.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321766441_ZUMJB-O.jpg

I was surprised the shot looked a bit soft, but I'm wondering if that's more the camera and film.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It looks alright to me. Hey! I have that same table set in the left background!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.