How can I tell if a used film scanner is working correctly?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Big Daddy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. I purchased a used film scanner from a very nice local Craigslister. She says I can return it back within three days if I find any issues with it. So I have to get the testing done this weekend.

Unfortunately a lot of what I want to scan -- some slides from my father-in-law -- won't be available until we go over for July 4th weekend. Until then all I have are some 9-year old negatives shot with a Olympus Stylus point-and-shoot using Kodacolor ISO 400 film, processed by a mass-market shop (Mystic Color Lab).

Thus I'm not sure how to tell if I'm getting a "good scan." Here's a sample scan. Digital ICE turned on (seems to work wonders as there is a lot of dust without it). No other in-scanner processing, or post-processing. Just 8-bit TIF to JPEG conversion.

321766441_ZUMJB-L.jpg

And if anyone's interested, a link to the very large original, in JPEG format.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321766441_ZUMJB-O.jpg

I was surprised the shot looked a bit soft, but I'm wondering if that's more the camera and film.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It looks alright to me. Hey! I have that same table set in the left background!