How can one oster describe other posts as BS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leif, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I have seen a poster describe someone elses posts as *******. That to me is pretty offensive. And yet when ages ago I engaged someone in polite discussion, no personal insults, I got a moderator stepping in. So what gives? Surely using the term ******** is inflammatory and out of order.

2. Don't be surprised if the post disappears. We have a great bunch of moderators working hard to keep things in order around here. If you have a problem with any post, just ask a moderator to review it for you. I've found them to be most helpful on the Cafe.

3. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Edited by a moderator, with which I have no issue. I will add that BS is no different from the full word IMO.

4. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Thanks. Maybe it had better disappear! Maybe if we all chant together! :smile:

5. dutchtrumpet

dutchtrumpet

May 2, 2007
    Dallas
    BS was called on a BS post. A hateful mob thread trashing Ken Rockwell is no different than a hateful thread trashing a forum member.

The KR bashing threads are too frequent and over the top. A bunch of tough camera nerd bullies picking on some dude running a website that doesn't cheat anyone and is upfront about it's mission.

Is that the best of this forum?

6. I agree.

7. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    When did this place get so political, negative, and elitist? There has been A LOT of negativity between members, sites, and outside people/groups around here lately. We used to be a very welcoming and caring group that never really complained about anything or anyone. (I'm not talking about the old days either... this was last month).

I say we just all let everything go and start taking pictures again and helping the new photographers with their snapshots of their pets and kids like everyone did for me when I joined a year ago. This is an amazing place... we need to keep it that way.

8. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Personally, I'm rather pleased that my skin is a bit thicker so I don't have to worry about a few words or opinions getting expressed. Lighten up, folks. It's not the end of the world if someone disagrees with you or says something that you wouldn't say.

9. Got kids?

10. Been wondering that lately myself.

11. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi

I am sure you have all been in a pub or a club. A forum is no different! It is made up of a group of people, all with different agendas and with different approaches.

I fall into the non emotional group, in other words I read posts and never get effected emotionally about them. Actually thats a bit of a fib in that I do sometimes feel sad for those who suddenly come out with aggressive comments such as the ones that the initiator of this thread mentioned.

I would prefer to see these people try to pursuade others to change their point of view by good reasoning but life is life and I guess its not going to happen :smile::smile:

On another forum a university student came out with a comment that a certain UK, very succesful photographic company was **** ( a word that rymes with trap :biggrin:).

I spent time on a few posts trying to reason that a company where the average customer spends $7000 must be doing something right. He never gave any reasons why he thought they were ****, just kept repeating it so imho he falls into the very shallow, total waste of time group :biggrin::biggrin:

stew

12. willg1

willg1 Guest

It could get worse. Behold! The Dark Ages are upon us.

13. Maybe it's the economy:smile::tongue:
    Tim

14. gladjo

gladjo Guest

I'm a member of another forum (motorcycle) and you can say pretty much what you want there including name calling. This site is a welcome breath of fresh air.

15. Whitedog

Whitedog Guest

I'm pretty new but I lurked here and on several other forums before joining. I joined because of the welcoming, pleasant atmosphere. I learn a lot when there is a pleasant debate but when someone is loud and obnoxious I immediately assume they are using bluster rather than knowledge. Besides, I dealt with enough confrontation in my work days--good riddance!! Honestly, when things deteriorate and the name calling starts I move on to another post or another site until it runs its course.