1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How can you tell the number of clicks a d300 has?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by newfies, Aug 6, 2008.

1. I keep reading about the actuations/clicks a camera has and have no clue as to how to retrieve that info from the camera. It probably is a stupid question, and it is in the menu somewhere, but I still don't have any idea how to tell. Thanks so much.

2. you basically need to look at the EXIF data from a picture. A very popular (free) one is Opanda.

3. download Opanda IExif Viewer

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

then take a JPG with your camera (dunno about Raw)

Open that picture in Opanda and look for something under MakerNote (Nikon) that says

Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera = 20743

(the above was taken from my old D50)

4. Thanks so much.

5. Bear78

Bear78

Jul 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Just some info.

From Nikon Support.com
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

"There is no way to accurately tell the total number of times your camera shutter has released. While there are third party software applications designed to read a cameras shutter count, this number is not always accurate because the shutter release times may be reset by firmware updates, or reset in the Service department if certain parts are replaced or other operations are performed."

6. Ahhh, thanks - good to know this info.

7. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    How about something for the Mac?

8. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
  9. just upload an unedited jpg to flickr, click on more properties....done!

10. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
  11. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Actually, it was a bit tricky to get this downloaded and set-up. I think I had to drag it into my applications. I then dragged it over to the dock and opened it. I drag photos into the application while it is in the dock. When you drag a phto to the camera symbol in the dock, you have to wait until the camera symbol in the dock moves and it says EXIF Viewer next to the symbol.

Again, it is a bit tricky to get it downloaded and installed correctly.

By the way, not all photos have EXIF data that can be seen. Sometimes photos are uploaded in a way that you cannot access the data.

I just checked. This program only shows the jpeg number of the jpeg photo (I haven't tried in raw). I don't know if this is the same number as the total actuations - which is clearly stated in the Opanda program I have on my PC.

I usually use this program for web photos. For photos on iPhoto, highlight the photo and then click on "Photos" at the very top to get a drop-down menu. Click on "Show Photo Info." Make sure you open all the info by clicking on all the arrows on the left of the information box after the information box opens.

12. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I did install it correctly, it just shows actually what you have stated, the jpeg number.

Probably better I don't know the exact count, if I am close to 5000, it may just stop working or something.:eek: 

13. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
  14. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks, got a chuckle out of that one. :smile:

15. mozart11

mozart11 Guest

If you're on a Mac, open the image in Preview. Open the Inspector. Click Nikon. View all the information you want. Including activations.

Apple. Easy. No extra cost

16. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

At the click rate I'm going, I'll hit 150K in 5 years....

17. I use Preview 3.0.9. and it doesn't seem to display the shutter acutations.

What do you mean by "Inspector"? - The "Get Info" (cmd-I) from the Tools menu?
    There's a part that says Nikon, but it doesn't contain the actuations.
    Is that what you're referring to with "Click Nikon"?

I cannot retrieve the number of shutter actuations with Preview or iPhoto (7.1.3.).

I do find them however with both EXIF Viewer and Phoenix Slides - but only if I use a jpg image that hasn't been opened with other programs.

18. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Thanks. I just ordered a D300 and - regrettably - have to sell my D40. Like you, I almost don't want to know the true count on the D40.

19. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Just for kicks I also checked My D80. It had almost 13,000.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.