How could I light this room for dramatic effect?

I'm doing a simple photo shoot for a friend in his studio. He wants to get some shots of him on the mic with dramatic lighting (that gritty kind of look) We have some lights we could make into spotlights, etc. I only have my one SB-600.

Anyone have any ideas?

Here is the room (sorry about the white, I left it in to get more of the room in).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Try this.

Since you only have one light, don't think about lighting the room, rather, think about lighting and isolating the subject. Try a snoot/grid or even bare flash zoomed off camera on subject with a high sync to kill the ambient for a moody/dramatic look. Play with the position of the light and get the shadows the way you want them.

Try this.

Since you only have one light, don't think about lighting the room, rather, think about lighting and isolating the subject. Try a snoot/grid or even bare flash zoomed off camera on subject with a high sync to kill the ambient for a moody/dramatic look. Play with the position of the light and get the shadows the way you want them.
I agree.

Shoot in a dark room (black BG), move things around to get good composition and shoot at different angles and ranges.

Put the keyboards L-shaped, line the Stratocasters up, guitar poses with the Les Paul, composing/playing at the piano with single lamp. Keep the wires out of the way.

I hope these help.

probably some kind of backlighting - place the sb600 somewhere behind and remote trigger from the camera built-in,. the problem looks like (can't see all walls!) is if you want some fill from the front (bounce from the sb600) it will be orange if off the wall,. you might want to gel the flash for some interesting colours etc, perhaps in that case light the front with a spot

main thing is to have fun and experiment, sometimes really cool shots happen when you are trying things 'that wont work' :smile:

Can you change/lower your horizon? The ceiling is not very interesting and rather distracting to my way of thinking. Frankly, I would fix this and then decide on the lighting. If the room is largeenough and you can get the strobe back far enough, you might be able to bounce the strobe and color correct.

Regards,
Tom

I would try a few different things as suggested. Certainly try lighting him from the front left or right with a snoot or grid. As someone suggested try a backlit shot where you crank up the power on the flash aiming at his back but catch some of that light with a reflector outside your frame and bounce it back to his front side/face. Expose for his face. Try with his body blocking view of the flash from your perspective, and maybe even get a shot where the flash is actually IN your shot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom