How did you fix lens wiggle errors?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 29, 2005.

1. I'm having a problem with my d70. My lenses have developed a little wiggle room. I get error messages on a regular basis, and have to rotate the lens to make proper connection. It happens with all four of my lenses... even with the 60mm micro, which fits very snugly. I've tried cleaning the contacts in the camera, but it hasn't made any difference.

Have any of you encountered this problem, and how have you fixed it?

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  3. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Uncle Frank

Yeah but haven't you been getting the F--- error message for a really really long time? <grin>.......LOL

4. That was F--, not F---.

5. marc

marc Guest

i read your post and find this subject interesting

i may have posted before a story of my d100, was doing a golf outing, and d100, slipped off of seat of golf cart.

i had a 24-120vr attached.

the cart got stuck on a slope and i tried to rock it, no luck. finally got out of cart and found d100 and what was left of lens under wheel.

anyhow, the lens busted off, at the mounting point to the camera, the lens mounting ring stayed attached to body. on the d100, the f mount looks like machined aluminum, i guess the d70 is the same.

i am sharing this, because i would think if you are having wiggle problems, did you drop the camera or somehow, bend or damage the f mount, it looks pretty sturdy to me.

nikon , surely will replace f mount

good luck.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  7. Frank,
    Some time ago last Spring I was in Ace Photo and the owner was speaking with a semi-professional photographer who does lots of film nature work and was contemplating switching over to digital. He specifically asked what differences he might encounter between using the D70 and the D2H. The owner told him, that considering the photography he does the long (read, heavy) lenses would put a lot of wear and tear on the D70 because the lens mount is plastic where the D2H's is metal. If he used telephoto lenses a lot they would eventually be come loose in their mount. Perhaps the "Beast" is heavy enough to do this. In this case it sounds like something which would necessitate sending to Nikon for repair.

Rich

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

9. My situation is looking up! I may have found the problem... dirty or corroded contacts. Per Ed's suggestion, I picked up a contact cleaner pen at Radio Shack, and cleaned the contacts on the camera and each of the lenses. They worked without any errors during brief tests tonight. We're heading up to Maine for a couple of days, and I'll let report back if it was a permanent fix.

This is a much better scenario than a bent mount.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Whew, eh?

11. Pencil erasers are best to clean contacts.

12. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Interesting thread. I'm also experiencing errors from time to time, though not often. Turning off the camera and remounting the lens fixes it usually. So it could have something to do with the lens/camera contacts. Will try to clean the contacts.

Thanks,

13. It seemed too good to be true... and it was. I've still got the wiggle problem :frown:. I'll be sending my d70 to Nikon as soon as I return from my vacation.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

15. Frank,

Too bad indeed. If you need a camera and I am not toting it in Hawaii (no firm date set yet), you can have mine. I too hope it hasn't put too big a damper on your vacation! :rolleyes: