How do i disguise a 400/2.8 so that it looks like a 200/2?

Andy, the only man with a lens collection that might rival Bjørn's :biggrin:

Greg, when the lens is big enough that the front of the 200VR's bucket hood fits INSIDE the rim of the front of the lens with room to spare, it isn't going to go unnoticed. Nor will your sudden outbursts of back pain.

Trust me, I know from experience :tongue:

hey, harrison
i could say it's FROM YOU....
my ex-gulliver... current UF friend felt sorry for me after i lost the crop factor of the D200.... and you just wanted to LEND me the 400 for a while

can carol call you to confirm? :wink:

Just get a small screwdriver and unscrew the little gold lens name plate from the 200mm and screw it onto the 400mm when you want to use it. If she suggests it looks bigger from last time, just tell her it is sunnier so you are using the optional bigger lens hood.

Labels don't lie :biggrin:

Greg,

just a thought: Treat her extremely nice for some time (a week or so at least). Exquisite dinner every night, flowers every morning, maybe also the other 2 or 3k thing that was mentioned on post #5, of course, also best coffee, etc. This is all to make her badly suspicious that something really bad happened. And when she finally breaks and want to hammer the truth out of you, tell her it's only a 400 mm lens. Puh. What a relief!!!

Of course, you could also try the cheaper route: Tell her that you caught an until today unknown virus at work. And the thing made you get the lens!!!

Whatever you do: You're screwed and good LUCK :eek:

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
Greg, with kind regards to Carol.
She should consider you being such a reasonable guy vs. some other crazy guys out there :smile: How can I help? Would this help you in your arguments ? ....

Image Snip at owner's request...

(I haven't done new lens pics since a year :smile: )

Geez! Those photos look like they were swiped right from a Nikon lens brochure. Do you still use all of them, or have they mostly become collectors items? Is there a Nikkor lens you don't own?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get a small screwdriver and unscrew the little gold lens name plate from the 200mm and screw it onto the 400mm when you want to use it. If she suggests it looks bigger from last time, just tell her it is sunnier so you are using the optional bigger lens hood.

Labels don't lie :biggrin:

ah..... labels don't lie
i LOVE it

bigger lens hood/that is great

Greg,

just a thought: Treat her extremely nice for some time (a week or so at least). Exquisite dinner every night, flowers every morning, maybe also the other 2 or 3k thing that was mentioned on post #5, of course, also best coffee, etc. This is all to make her badly suspicious that something really bad happened. And when she finally breaks and want to hammer the truth out of you, tell her it's only a 400 mm lens. Puh. What a relief!!!

Of course, you could also try the cheaper route: Tell her that you caught an until today unknown virus at work. And the thing made you get the lens!!!

Whatever you do: You're screwed and good LUCK :eek:

ah, walter
i DO like the VIRUS idea
maybe i can vomit on the floor upon returning home today.... to "break the ice" with that thought, so-to-speak........ :biggrin:

For the next few days sprinkle some "dust" on your 200 f/2 case. Make sure she sees you do this. When she askes, and she will, tell her you heard that you can fertalize the lens in hopes that the lens will grow. She will think your looney, nuts, and dumb. But show her wrong in few days when out of the case you whip out the 400. Tadaaa!!! it worked.:biggrin::biggrin:

Greg, with kind regards to Carol.
She should consider you being such a reasonable guy vs. some other crazy guys out there :smile: How can I help? Would this help you in your arguments ? ....

(I haven't done new lens pics since a year :smile: )

:eek: where do you live? I'd like to do a "survey" of your neighborhood :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dress it up like this and hide it between the plants :biggrin:

Or buy a white one an tell her you switched to Canon and you really need to buy all other Canon lenses as well, she will be so flabbergasted that she will be more than happy when you tell her that it is only the 400. :smile:

_82H5952_n400vr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

at first i was in awe by the volume ..once that wore off i was intrigued by all of the cool color variations in the lens coatings

Latest threads

Top Bottom