How do I edit Metadata - Lens information?

I use Lightroom 3 and PS CS5. I also have a number of unchipped manual focus lenses (Ai-S). The lens information is not recorded in the Metadata at the time the photo is taken. I want to add the lens data - such as Zeiss 100/21/35/50. How can I do so. At the moment I have a large number of photos in my library from these unchipped lenses. Would like to search and pull data based on these lenses. I can edit other Metadata just not the lens info. Do I need another program other than LR3 or PS CS5?

Thanks

there are two containers, that are capable to hold the value of the lens, which is used:
The standard one is the container lens, which only is able to indicate and store the information, if a lens is chipped.
The second container, which is able to hold your needed information is the the container focal-lenght. This container can be filled with the information, if you edit the lens menu in your camera. there you can store the focal length and the minimum aperture of the used lens.
So you need to edit this menu item in your camera and select the used lens. If you don't edit this menu and/or don't select the used lens, this information is not recorded to the exif-data.
I have owned the Zeiss 25/35/50/85 and only if I forgot to have selected the used lens (after I edited them in the camera), no information is available.
For all other photos i took, the focal-lens information is available.
This is the workaround and it works with nearly all software, that is able to read the exif data. There is a menu in LR and PS, where you can select the to be displayed exif containers as custom. Check out the software manual on how to select the focus-lenght container.
Due to the fact that if you are using primes, this works. If you own manual unchipped primes of the same focal length but with different apertures, you are even able to determine e.g between Zeiss 35/2 and 35/1,4.

saludos redondos -
tom

I do set up the camera for the Ai-S/manual lenses. It does show on the photo as the appropriate lens focal length. However, when selecting photos by the lens metadata unchipped lenses read "0.0mm f/0.0". This portion doesn't pick the focal length only the lens information. I am looking to update the lens information manually in LR3 or some other program so that inforamtion is available for selection via Metadata selection.

How absolutely weird. I searched the forum for such a question as I JUST posted the very same... Wish I had seen this one before posting. Still haven't figured it out, but if I do.. I'll get back here.

Going to try Tom's solution.. Just need to wrap my head around it a bit.

Doug

Please, read the LR manual and ... my post again. what you are posting is not true!
If you setup the manual lenses in your camera, the information is stored - for sure - in the foto exif data!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I won't believe that LR - setup properly and displaying the container I mentioned - does not read out the needed information.

I have all the information stated in your email and can pull photos based on focal length, apeture and shutter speed. However, at 35mm for instance that could be several different lenses. I was looking for an easier way to identify a photo taken at a 35mm focal length was Zeiss 35mm 2.0, 24-70/2.8, 16-35/4, etc. I can still determine that but it takes a little more data. I just wanted to manually update the lens info as a feel/felt it would be easier to identify based on this information rather than sorting/filtering on several pieces of data.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom