1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do I get Nikon to reply back to me?

Discussion in 'Film Cameras - All Brands' started by Steve Zalewski, Nov 30, 2012.

1. On Monday of this week I sent Nikon a message about getting my Nikon N65qd camera repaired. At times the camera shows Err in the viewfinder and on the upper left hand side of the liquid crystal display. In addition, the camera has made a "grinding noise" and at times the auto focus would not work. I sent this information to Nikon and got a message back with an incident number of 121126-001538. Nikon told me that I would get a response within 24 hours. I asked in the request for an estimate as to what it cost to reepair my N65 qd camera. The 24 hours came and went by and by late Tuesday evening, I had not received a reply from Nikon. I called their customer service number left two messages on late Tuesday and again on Thursday and got no response to my inquiries.

I am disgusted with Nikon's crummy customer service since this company did not even have the courtesy to even reply back to me. Nikon as far as I'm concerned deserves a grade of F for not even having the courtesy of replying back to me on this matter. I'm disgusted with this crummy customer service.

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY Incident number 121126-001538

2. Steve,
    Sorry about your problems. A couple of things - I believe that Nikon repair in Mellville had some problems because of Sandy. And while the facility itself may not have been damaged, that some employees were affected. I'm not making excuses - just a thought. Typically when I have a repair (and unfortunately I have had a few) I just go through their web-site. I list my equipment, and write a summary of what all is wrong with it. Then the system prints out a shipping address, and packing slip with the information I entered. i take the gear to UPS and ship it. Nikon will give me an estimate after they receive the camera (to be honest - I don't know how they could give you an estimate before they have examined the camera). I approve the estimate if I want them to do the repair & they ship it back to me when they are done. you can check the status of the repair on-line, although that is sometimes hit or miss. I say this because I've actually had the camera delivered back to me yet that same morning the on line status said that the camera was still in the shop.
    Anyway - I understand that it's hard to ship your gear off to be worked on with no human contact involved, but to be honest the work Nikon has done for me in the past has been excellent, and after I got over the initial I need to talk to someone I think their process has worked great. At least for me.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

3. Steve
    may I be honest? If they haven't been damaged they may think you're a troll..
    For what they would charge for a repair you might likely purchase another film camera brand new (well, more or less). I don't know there, but over here a N65qd would be less than 50$ worth. N80 are between 50 and 100$, just to give you a comparison, some not even trade them anymore. That said, you're right, at least for a quick answer they might reply to you.

4. Follow up to my Nikon N65qd inquiry.

Thank you for your reply, but Nikon left me "hanging" in thin air. They told me after I sent them the first message that I would get a response within 24 hours and Nikon did NOT reply back to me. I described the problem with my N65qd camera accurately and while I understand that hurricane Sandy is not Nikon's fault I at least wished that someone at Nikon would have replied back to me. I also gave Nikon my e mail address and cell phone number and as of now I still don't have a reply from Nikon to my questions. I was trying to get an idea of what it would cost to fix my camera versus getting another one on Ebay. Thank you to both of Nikon Cafe's members for your comments. Steve Zalewski, Syracuse, NY

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  5. I work on Long Island, 15 minutes away from Melville and I doubt that Sandy is having any effect on their service department. I've personally found their service department to not nearly as good as is used to be. I would try this place: http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/our-services They used to be Nikon's Mid-West reapair facility.

6. Looking at your incident #, you were the 1,538th incident of the day, just for that day, for Nikon USA. That's a lot of questions to handle!

If you search their knowledge base for "repair estimate" you'll see that they handle these requests by having you send in the camera, not make some poor tech support person guess a dollar figure for a camera that he can't see or touch. I think you should cut them some slack and follow the procedures that they've set out for customers to follow.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/336/kw/repair estimate/

Sean

7. The N65 body has been out of production for a number of years, so the OP's camera is, in all likelihood long out of warranty. A cursory glace at KEH's stock shows that they currently have N65 bodies ranging in price from $11.72 for a chrome Bargain Grade body to $23.25 for an Excellent Grade chrome body (plus some shipping of course).
    Thus it would seem cheaper and faster to simply pay to replace the body than to pay for shipping both ways to Nikon plus repair costs and the waiting time for the repairs to be done.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  8. B.O.I. BROWN

B.O.I. BROWN

Dec 22, 2010
    Texas
    I agree, unless there is some strong sentimental value, the camera is not worth what it will cost to repair it. That being said, it does not excuse poor customer service.

9. I highly doubt Nikon would/could even repair it... They probably don't have any repair
    parts in inventory or even have repair tech's familiar with those older models... If it's
    important that that particular camera be repaired (rather than cheaply replaced) the
    best bet is doing a google search (or looking in the phone book) for a local brick and
    mortar shop that still repairs older cameras like that...

10. December 5, 2012--Thank You to everyone who replied to my posting with your comments. I appreciate it. Steve Zalewski, Syracuse Camera Club member, Syracuse, NY. Happy Holidays to everyone on Nikon Cafe.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
  11. If I had a nickel for every time I've received that same lie from Nikon support I would have about 25 cents.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.