1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do I go to the Olympics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShadowFox19, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Hello All,
    While I'm watching the Olympics, I'm thinking about going to the next summer games in London. Does anyone have experience traveling to the Olympics? Do you know of a travel agent that specializes in planning trips to the Olympics?
    Any info will be appreciated, thanks!

2. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    $$$$$$$

3. ^ That goes without saying.

So, nobody here, from the US, has gone to the Olympics on foreign soil in recent years?

4. Once tickets start going on sale for a particular Olympics, get some, and make your way to the country where they're being held. I think it's fairly straightforward.

The 2010 Winter Olympics should be a good opportunity for Americans to attend an Olympic Games seeing as they're fairly close in Canada.

Travel documents (passport/visa) are considerations that need to be studied and prior to the Games most countries tighten restrictions on who they give visas to as security precautions.

For the Beijing Olympics you needed to show proof of a certain amount of money in the bank (equal to $150 for every day that you would be in China and your bank records needed to be shown), proof of tickets to an Olympic event, and proof of hotel reservations and return flights out of China. You needed to show this at the consulate or embassy that you applied for your visa at as part of the visa application process.

Attending an Olympic Games is expensive and most of the tickets are reserved for dignitaries, citizens of the host country, and athlete's/coach's families.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  5. ^ Thanks
    I'm actually thinking about the 2012 London summer games.

6. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Seriously? Bank records? I don't think I would have liked doing that at all.

7. I think London will be easier. In a little bit, there will be authorized travel agencies making offers. I'd suggest sticking with them as they have official access to the ticket pool, despite being a bit more $$$; and they'll have total packages including housing & airfare.

8. Bank records were the easiest way for most people to prove they had the required daily amount of money.

Beijing was very strict in the run-up to the Olympics...it's one of the reasons I came home a month before the Olympics started.

9. Do you know of any reputable agencies that do this?

10. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Randy, this is a standard requirement set forth by the US Consulates all over the world, while they consider applications of visas (even tourist visas) to the US. They just need to make sure you have enough assets/money so they are assured you will return to your own country.

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    That's not how they do it in Wisconsin huh GB?

12. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I see...because EVERYONE wants to stay in China! :wink:

Only when I go to Illinois :biggrin:

13. Best figure out how many tons of $$ make a POUND:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.