How do I go to the Olympics?

Hello All,
While I'm watching the Olympics, I'm thinking about going to the next summer games in London. Does anyone have experience traveling to the Olympics? Do you know of a travel agent that specializes in planning trips to the Olympics?
Any info will be appreciated, thanks!

^ That goes without saying.

So, nobody here, from the US, has gone to the Olympics on foreign soil in recent years?

Once tickets start going on sale for a particular Olympics, get some, and make your way to the country where they're being held. I think it's fairly straightforward.

The 2010 Winter Olympics should be a good opportunity for Americans to attend an Olympic Games seeing as they're fairly close in Canada.

Travel documents (passport/visa) are considerations that need to be studied and prior to the Games most countries tighten restrictions on who they give visas to as security precautions.

For the Beijing Olympics you needed to show proof of a certain amount of money in the bank (equal to $150 for every day that you would be in China and your bank records needed to be shown), proof of tickets to an Olympic event, and proof of hotel reservations and return flights out of China. You needed to show this at the consulate or embassy that you applied for your visa at as part of the visa application process.

Attending an Olympic Games is expensive and most of the tickets are reserved for dignitaries, citizens of the host country, and athlete's/coach's families.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the Beijing Olympics you needed to show proof of a certain amount of money in the bank (equal to $150 for every day that you would be in China andyour bank records needed to be shown), proof of tickets to an Olympic event, and proof of hotel reservations and return flights out of the China. You needed to show this at the consulate or embassy that you applied for your visa at.

Seriously? Bank records? I don't think I would have liked doing that at all.

I think London will be easier. In a little bit, there will be authorized travel agencies making offers. I'd suggest sticking with them as they have official access to the ticket pool, despite being a bit more $$$; and they'll have total packages including housing & airfare.

Bank records were the easiest way for most people to prove they had the required daily amount of money.

Beijing was very strict in the run-up to the Olympics...it's one of the reasons I came home a month before the Olympics started.

I think London will be easier. In a little bit, there will be authorized travel agencies making offers. I'd suggest sticking with them as they have official access to the ticket pool, despite being a bit more $$$; and they'll have total packages including housing & airfare.

Do you know of any reputable agencies that do this?

Randy, this is a standard requirement set forth by the US Consulates all over the world, while they consider applications of visas (even tourist visas) to the US. They just need to make sure you have enough assets/money so they are assured you will return to your own country.

Randy, this is a standard requirement set forth by the US Consulates all over the world, while they consider applications of visas (even tourist visas) to the US. They just need to make sure you have enough assets/money so they are assured you will return to your own country.

I see...because EVERYONE wants to stay in China! :wink:

That's not how they do it in Wisconsin huh GB?

Only when I go to Illinois :biggrin:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom