How do I save an action? (and one more question)

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Hockey_Nut, Jul 28, 2008.

1. I've only done this a couple of times and now I can't remember the correct steps. I generated an action to apply a watermark - created new action, hit record, went through the steps of inserting a text, size, colour, drop shadow etc. Stop recording. Where can I save this? If I close CS3 my newly created action no longer exists.

Furthermore, the one action I had that disappeared worked great. Used the automate -> batch and let 'er rip. Each file was saved to my desktop with either "proof" or "copy" at the end of the original file name. I can't for the life of me remember how I managed to set this up. When I did my new action, during recording, I went to "save as" and added "proof" after the file name, selected the size/quality option of the jpeg, closed the file, and opted not to save changes to the original file. However, each file in the batch process seems to overwrite the previous file and I end up with one file called DSC_8334 proof ... but this is the LAST photo that went through the batch ... all the other previous photos were saved using the same file name. How do I save each individual file?

Sorry for the basic questions. I just need a push in the right direction.

Thanks for any help you can offer me ... I can't keep doing this manually!!!!!

Take care,
    Brent

2. At the top of the actions pallet there is a pulldown menu on the right.
    Near the bottom of that is the save actions command.
    I forget how to rename files individually- I'll need to sit down in front of photoshop to work that out- hopefully somebody smarter will chime in for you soon.
    Gary

3. Hi Gary,

Thanks for the tip. I managed to create yet another action to watermark my photos and I selected "overide save/save as" feature in the destination field of the batch window. It eliminated my earlier problem ... for now.

Take care,
    Brent

4. Hi Gary,

I found the drop down menu but the "save actions" option was greyed out despite the action I wanted to save was selected ... argh!

Take care,
    Brent

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Don't you just assign an f-key to it?

6. Hi Seneca,

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip.

Take care,
    Brent

7. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    In order to save the action, you must have the set folder highlighted...not the individual action. I guess it's that way so you can be driven nuts trying to save the action :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.