1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do I use my .Mac account to host Cafe images?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by RichNY, Jul 5, 2008.

1. RichNY

RichNY Guest

I have a directory under my .Mac Pictures folder named NikonCafe and have place a few JPGs in it.

What's my next step or do I need to put it on my Public iDisk?

2. As best I recall if the photos are not in your public folder then you would have to share your password for others to view them.

3. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    It's easy. I do it all the time.

Open the idisk and place the pictures in the Sites directory.

Here is one.

http://homepage.mac.com/bozola/128F.jpg

Surround the IMG tag around it and you get this...

[​IMG]

4. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Frederick- Thanks, it worked like a charm.

5. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    How about this being a sticky on the apple forum?

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Ok. Do I do that? or does someone else do it for me?

8. gvg45

gvg45

Jun 16, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Thanks for the tip. I was not aware this was an option for .Mac. I have been using photobucket but its nice to know I have another option.

9. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    I am struggling with this. Once I put a photo on idisk in the Sites folder, if I click on it, it doesn't open it on a web site that I can copy to my post. It simply opens the picture in PShot. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

10. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Now I can't get it to work either. MobileMe handles files differently. Anyone?

11. If you have an album on your homepage you can access them from that also. To edit your homepage from mobileme click on the folder icon in the menu bar and to the right you will see Go To Homepage. Click on that. This will take to your homepage which you can edit as before. To place images on the homepage place your images in the Photo Album Pictures folder which is inside your Pictures folder in iDisk.

12. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Thanks Ray, but I'm more lost than ever. I follow what you're saying but there's no way to copy info as a URL. I upload to my pictures and my public folder. Nothing works.

13. Here's the format posting your images from the site folder:

Here's the way get your image to post from mobileme. Use this format for each image in your site folder (don't include the enclosure marks front and rear though!). This should work. If you want to use your homepage then give me a call tomorrow. Ray

<http://homepage.mac.com/yourdotmacusername/yourimagename.jpg>

14. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Thanks Ray, but None of your suggestions work for me. It just must be me. One of the reasons I don't post photos here is because I can't get the darn thing to work for me. Used to work with .mac, but MobileMe seems different. Can't find the right URL to paste to save my life. Very, very frustrating.

15. I do it differently from most, but it works for me and it might for you.

On your iDisk, there's a folder named "Pictures". Inside that folder I created a new folder named "Cafe". In MobileMe Preferences I have the iDisk set to sync automatically. I have an alias of that "Cafe" folder sitting on my desktop.

When I want to link to a photo in the Cafe, I copy it into the Cafe alias folder on my desktop. It will sync automatically to my iDisk within a minute or so.

This text in a forum message will post the photo: (note, I've removed a leading [ from in front of IMG] so this will display as text here)

IMG]http://homepage.mac.com/ronraley/.Pictures/Cafe/photonamehere.jpg[/IMG]

Note the . in front of Pictures and that capitalization is critical.

Hope this works for you if you want to try it.

16. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    Tried it Ron. No luck. I'm stuck.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Tipscord and lunchpailer: Put your jpegs in the Sites folder in your iDisk (not the Pictures folder and not the Public folder.) Then address them as explained explained by bozola and Ray above:

[noparse]http://homepage.mac.com/cheilman1/chris.jpg[/noparse]

(replace cheilman1 with your dotmac name, and chris.jpg with the name of your file.)

Do not double click the image file to open it (as that will open it with your photo editing program) but type the address (as above) into your browser. This method will work reliably, and it works the same now as it did before 'MobileMe'.

18. I did not use the homepage approach, but rather the iDisk approach.

I save the pictures in the Public folder of my iDisk. Then the reference to the image is:

"http://idisk.mac.com/username//Public/filename.JPG"

The most important thing to remember, is that it IS most definitely case sensitive. This bites me all the time because some of my pics have a .jpg extension and some have a .JPG extension. Case has to match to work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.