How do I?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Perhaps its been posted before but are there any tips here on the site (old posts) which walk you through how to create an avatar?

When I joined Chris101 helped me and converted an image for me and IU figured it's time to change my "image"

Thanks in advance,

Rich

2. Rich;

When you're logged in to the Cafe, go to your profile (near the top of just about any page). Scroll to the bottom of the profile page and you'll see your current avatar. From there it's pretty easy to browse for the image you want. Hope this helps.

Brian

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You mean we're supposed to change our avatars???? ;)

* Take a photo that you want to use as an avatar.

* Crop it tight cause you don't have much real estate in an avatar (better limit new ones to 100 X 100 pixels, but the current limit is 110X110.)

* Adjust the contrast (via curves or levels) to emphasize the subject and diminish the background.

* Resize the image in stages using bicubic smoother, and applying small amounts of USM sharpening at each stage. For a 3008X2000 image, I will resize and sharpen four times. The amount of USM varies by the image, but be sure not to get any visible halos, or the photo will look 'crinkly' when reduced.

* Give an agressive USM amount but only 0.2 radius for the final sharpen.

* Use Photoshop's Save for Web ... menu command rather than the Save as... you would use for an artistic photograph. This will strip all the 'extraneous' info from the image uch as EXIF, color profiles, etc.

* Save the image to a location on your computer. I put mine on the Desktop so I can upload it, and throw it away (or file it) afterward.

* Now, in the Nikon Cafe, click on the Profile link at the top of the page, which opens your profile for editing. Scroll to the bottom of the page and find the Avatar Control Panel.

* The first command is Upload Avatar from your machine: with a button Choose File. Click Choose File.

* From the Open file dialog that appears, select the avatar file you just saved. The picture won't change in the Control Panel until you re-open it, so just go back to the forum and post something to enjoy your brand new look!

ps, Jacki, my prisms aren't talking cause the sun aint shining.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Decidedly low tech, but proprietary. Remember those round ball, non-focusing lens, 320X240 monochrome webcams? Put that together with a rotating office chair and a white wall, and you're on your way to reverse engineering it though.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    A bit of Monty-Virtual claret would be nice. '61? ;)