How do my cooled/heated seats work?

OK, I know this sounds like a dumb question but I got curious and started looking for AC ducts leading to the seats in my new truck without success. No dust or tubes leading to the seats. Are they using a Peltier thermoelectric element to do the job? I can't think of any other way. I searched on the net and it seems to be a common question without a definitive answer. My wife has them in her Lincoln and there are no ducts either. I had a powerful Peltier cooler many years ago that worked amazingly well but it was a power hog.

Pretty sure it's a Peltier element.

My '03 Lincoln LS had that feature...I do miss it sometimes! Not sure how your truck is but back then on the Lincolns it could be set to auto mode and would heat or cool based on what you had the EATC set at.

The seats aren't actually cooled. A targeted pulse of neutron radiation is fired at your head giving you the sensation of a cool bottom and supressing sweat gland activity. When heat is required rather than cooling, well... the radiation is directed a little lower in your anatomy :eek:

Not to worry, according to automakers and the government agencies in their pockets, neither one is harmful as long as you don't have any plans to pursue your eductation any further nor have any more children :biggrin:

Doh... gotta run, there's a black helicopter landing on the lawn....

fks

Some cooled seats use a fan (or fans) as a q&d way. If you have perforated seats, then most likely there's a fan inside the cushion. According to this article, some seats either duct from the cabin a/c or have a miniature version in the seat

Heated seats use a heatiing element.

I work for Mercedes-Benz. Our cars have many small fans in the seats in combination with perforations in the leather. The air is not blown towards your bottom but rather the other way around.

I work out side for one of the companies that photographs the dealer inventory of cars... and those cooled seats are fantastic on a 100* day in a black car with dark leather seats.....

Car i have been in was a fan in the seat.
I am more for the heated seat side.

But for me the cooled seat thing is fine and dandy but when you have a black car with black leather that has been sitting baking in the sun. you still gonna cook your goose when you get in - LOL

But for me the cooled seat thing is fine and dandy but when you have a black car with black leather that has been sitting baking in the sun. you still gonna cook your goose when you get in - LOL
And salesmen keep arguing with me when I tell them "I dont want leather". Too many times when I built conversion vehicles I got into a vehicle that been sitting in the sun for days while wearing shorts only to yell "OOOOWWWW HOOOOTTTT". :eek::biggrin:

And salesmen keep arguing with me when I tell them "I dont want leather". Too many times when I built conversion vehicles I got into a vehicle that been sitting in the sun for days while wearing shorts only to yell "OOOOWWWW HOOOOTTTT". :eek::biggrin:
I fixed my issue with that with me installing a remote start. But only works when you remember to start the car and give it time to cool down as many times i have not.

But fun when i was at work in the winter when people had to walk out and spend 15-30min cleaning off ice and snow and sitting freezing while car warms up. Yet i stated my car from inside and walked out defrosted windows and a nice toasty car.

My MINI has heated seats and I never thought about how it does it, LOL :) I just love when I get into it in the winter and they are nice and warm :)

Carole

I fixed my issue with that with me installing a remote start. But only works when you remember to start the car and give it time to cool down as many times i have not.

But fun when i was at work in the winter when people had to walk out and spend 15-30min cleaning off ice and snow and sitting freezing while car warms up. Yet i stated my car from inside and walked out defrosted windows and a nice toasty car.
If it takes 15-30 min to clear the ice and snow off, they are doing it wrong.:biggrin: I get my truck cleaned off in 3-5 min while the truck is running. Being cold I can deal with. What you guys consider extremely cold in OK is a warm spell up here in WI.:biggrin:

This truck is my first automatic in 25 yrs. Still debating on putting a remote start in it. Put enough of them in tahoes and suburbans back in the day, but these new "everything is through the BCM" vehicles are a PITA and I'm not exactly willing to toss $500-700 just for a remote start that works with my factory keyless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it takes 15-30 min to clear the ice and snow off, they are doing it wrong.:biggrin: I get my truck cleaned off in 3-5 min while the truck is running. Being cold I can deal with. What you guys consider extremely cold in OK is a warm spell up here in WI.:biggrin:

This truck is my first automatic in 25 yrs. Still debating on putting a remote start in it. Put enough of them in tahoes and suburbans back in the day, but these new "everything is through the BCM" vehicles are a PITA and I'm not exactly willing to toss $500-700 just for a remote start that works with my factory keyless.
I always did the "go and start the truck" dance every winter and let it run for 10-minutes before cleaning it. It never bothered me or even was a second thought, I just did it. Now since my new truck has remote start I have to train myself to not go outside to start it. I hope I catch on as it is going to take a lot of effort to remove years of programming.:smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom