How do you answer this question?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Lutke, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    In the short time since I’ve started to learn photography, I’ve taken a few (what I consider) good pictures. The picture is clear, sharp, composition seems good, and it’s very satisfying when it all comes together. However, it seems like when I show someone the picture, the first question most to ask is, “what camera do you use?” I find this question a bit offensive. Maybe I’m being overly sensitive, but to me, it takes the photographer right out of the equation. How do you answer this question?

2. I always jokingly tell them "the one in my head."

3. That doesn't bother me much...I proudly say Nikon!

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    People have actually never asked me that question (yet) ... maybe my photos aren't good enough :tongue:

5. I've been asked that many times, and yes, the insinuation that it's all the camera is annoying, but realize that it comes from the uneducated. These are the same people who think that the only reason that they're non-competitive in formula one racing is their lack of a race car. :wink: :tongue:

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I also reply, "Nikon".

7. That doesn't bother me one bit, in fact I sometime find that the person asking is doing so to start a conversation and if they also shoot a Nikon then we really get things going and most times the end up here as members.: biggrin:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I proudly say

A NIKON D200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They reply....

...........................................WOW........................................

Then we comense to discuss photography...It is so much fun to meet new people.

9. azzkikr

azzkikr

Jan 25, 2006
    Dalton,ga
    i too say nikon or digital

10. If you want to have fun, tell them you got it with your cellphone camera. :biggrin:

11. O Sandi, you upgraded from your pinhole machine?? :tongue: :biggrin:

I too, do tell them what brand. Often I find the comments end up talking about the differences between P&S and DSLR, frequently with regards to ability to capture action (as it happens). Some people genuinely want to learn, others give you the "smile and nod yes" routine. :wink:

12. Here is the thing to do. Start by explaining your long history and training in Photography, right from using Flash-Powder to the Digital Age. Explain the hardware you have used, right up to your new Nikon Digital. If they haven't gotten a glazed look or run away yet, then go into how much work you did to get the composition and exposure "just so". And how, like Ansel Adams and Galen Rowell, you spend hours, days, weeks setting up for that "perfect" shot. Practice this spiel, you can get it down to 15-20 minutes if you work at it. Guaranteed to bore to tears all of those who truly have "no clue" :wink: :wink:

13. Doug,

A question like that is in my opinion not offensive as it merely is an expression of interest in the picture and you the photographer. It is no reflection on the abilities of the photographer. While I do not remember anyone asking me this question, I sometimes volunteer the info. People are surprised what you can do with a 3 MB P/S or conversely a D2X or a scanned film image @ 13x19.

When looking at a picture, most times people have no clue how you arrived at the "stunning" end result and a way to getting to the answer is for them to ask what "tools" you have used. So, the question is innocent and it should not bother you if you think about it in this context.

14. Sandi, you're just awful :tongue:

I just tell them I have a Nikon (pronouncing it Knee-Kon) and most of them just look :confused:

15. I consider it a real compliment when someone asks me that. It means they're impressed enough with the picture to go beyond a polite, "nice picture".

16. I was out shooting last summer, kneeling down in the mud to get dewdrops, and a woman said "isn't it nice that you can be there with your camera to get the pictures, I guess it's all about being in the right place at the right time". I just smiled and agreed...... yes, along with learning which aperture, speed, direction of light, let alone the thousands lashed out for the gear.

If someone actually starts a question about photography, and seems interested, I'm more than happy to talk to them about it. One thing about shooting from a kayak is when you happen to be seen by another kayak, who immediately vigorously paddles over and says "What are you taking pictures of???" "Nothing now, it's flown away!"

17. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    This past weekend at the Cafe Gathering, a passersby asked if I got any good photos with that expensive camera, and I laughed and said sometimes, they kinda laughed and looked at me strange.

go figure, but i get the camera does all the work all the time comments, and folks make excuses for their bad photos because of the gear.

Wade

18. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Most of the time people have said that to me it is in the context that implies "If I didn't have such a nice camera my pictures would stink" assuming I have no talent whatsoever, so it does ruffle the feathers a bit, especially since it is family members who make the comments most of the time and they have seen me with a camera in my hand since I was quite young.:frown: - Jeff

19. I've gotten similar comments. People have implied that the camera and not the photographer makes all the difference. I once went so far as to reset all the settings on my camera and hand it to one of these "armchair photographers" and told him to try it. When he couldn't come close, he shut up. I just took my camera back and said, "Yeah, you're right. It's the camera."

20. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I also reply Nikon DSLR...to which I normally get a wide eyed look followed by a "that's a nice camera" comment. It really doesn't bother me...