How Do You Avoid Unwanted Reflections?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobhoge, Oct 16, 2005.

1. On our trip to Africa we did three sightseeing flights. One in a small plane over the deserts in Namibia: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=55092

One by helicopter from Cape Town to the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=55616

And another helicopter ride over Victoria Falls in Zambia: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=55614 [/URL]

Some of the shots had no or minimal reflections, and others were badly impacted. Here is one of the worst ones I was willing to post (at Victoria Falls):
    [​IMG]

We had never tried to shoot in these situations before. Is there any techniques to reduce the reflections. I always try to stay close to the glass, but not much else.
    It was especially difficult in the helicopter since he did a lot of turning and twisting to try to give both sides an equal look (which almost cost Nan her breakfast :eek: )
    Any ideas or good hints,
    Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bob,
    If you go to the retouching forum on DPR they will certainly help you with this. They know all the tricks.

Cheers

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have had the same problems in aircraft. A circular polarizing filter has helped.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Using a polarizer and staying at 90 degrees to the glass will help a lot.

5. If you don't have a filter handy, get your seat-mate to hold up a dark jacket or sweater right behind you. Don't forget: if you want to take airplane window shots, wear dark colours, NOT white like I did coming back from Greece over the Alps - nice reflection in all of them!! LOL

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Sandy, that is a very good tip! I do not know if I will remember it but, it is a good tip!

So, I have a friend that is suppose to take me on a little plane ride over my house so I can take some pics and I too will experience these types of problems. What about taking along a large dark towel or blanket or even a dark sheet and taping it up with some duck tape or similar to cut down on reflections? I know I will probably look like an idiot but, nobody around anyway but me and the pilot and it seems like this would work well. Anyone ever try this in a plane?

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Paul->Yes, I suppose in a commercial plane and you are covering yourself and the window with a giant blanket, that you could get a few looks and perhaps make everyone nervous (especially now-a-days). Everyone, will wonder - "What the heck is that guy doing underthere?". I think if I tried in a commercial plane I would get permission first!.

10. marc

marc Guest

use a circular polarizer, works best when held at slight angle, so you can see the reflection and then as you turn polarizer ring, watch them disappear in viewfinder.

then shoot, they are also great on very bright days to keep some of the sky's highlights down and they really make the sky look blue

have a good time shooting, off to the far east to take hundreds of photos

11. Reflections

a cir pol also as written is a good investment, though costly for larger glass :Depressed For hockey games I have used a good sized rubber lens hood, you can hold the rubber and have some movement of the body, it does not take up alot of space, I up size with a ring to get that extra size for better movement in the camera. BUT I to would let the airlines know and even check if they want your equipment on board, you can do a lot of things with a bunch of camera equipment, some not so nice, now I hope I didn't give any ideas :eek: