1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do you balance flash & ambient light

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Debbie H, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I was also confused by the manual at first and thought it meant the flash tries to also expose the background . Some people think it is describing ''slow-synch'' type flash - they haven't explained it very well .
    Basically from what I understand now is that it takes into account what the camera meter sees as well as the flash meter and doesn't think it is the only light source like TTL seems to do . I tried a few tests with TTL compared to TTL/BL outdoors and the TTL/BL always seemed to fire about 1 stop weaker .
    Indoors was a different story and gave some interesting results so I stay with TTL indoors . I still end up setting TTL/BL to -1 outdoors as a personal preference .

2. I think you might be misunderstanding what I meant or else I wasn't very clear. I was simply saying that the camera makes the initial setting in any of the auto modes but in M mode you make the settings by zeroing out your meter. The settings may very well be identical but with one the camera controls that and in the other, you do. I do agree that the camera will control the flash power in any of the auto modes when using TTL-BL.

3. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Just went through the SB800 & the SB600 Manual and neither one goes into depth at all about TTL-BL and what modes you can use it in or that your or that it works better it your subject is in the center of the frame. I guess they just think we should know.:mad:  Not that was my question to start with but I'm learning something new that I didn't know.:smile:

4. If you got too smart Debbie you would put the pro's out of business. :biggrin:

5. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    LOL!! Gordon I don't think there is a need to worry, well not yet.:biggrin:

6. My model says it all for me , no it is not underfed or badly treated as some suggest but the skin tones are a bit "plasticky" . I did quite a few comparisons to see the difference between the two and save the results to remind myself later :

mttlbl2001.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mttlbl2002.jpg

mttlbl2003.jpg

The difference is not as pronounced indoors and I trust TTl more in the tests I did .[indoors that is ]

mttlbl2017.jpg

mttlbl2016.jpg

7. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Very good examples Desmond. Thanks for posting them!! Debbie

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.