How do you buy a new camera?

I am trying to decide why I should buy a replacement for my D80. It works fine - but desire leads me towards a D300.

On the basis that I have not earnt a penny from my photographs - nor am I ever likely to, I am intrigued to learn how others in a similar position justify their new purchases. I read one of the usually reviewers say that they don't waste money on stuff that they don't need and replace with the latest and greatest when it gets released and enjoy the new technology whilst it is still new. Perhaps a good set of ideals - but difficult to actually do.

I have a good job, kids have moved out, mortgage paid - I'm just mean I guess! That lust is really starting to kick in though :smile:

Do those in the forum that took the plunge and went for the D3 earn from the camera? How about the D300 (or preordered a D700)? Do you set up a monthly 'hobby allowance'? Do you just find a new line of credit and smile at the thought that you are helping keep the economy afloat? Chris

Hi Chris

I just buy what I want and worry about paying for it later. The D300 was calling to me but I've no real drive to go Fx, so will stick with what I have for now.

Do I need the D300? No. I just wanted it...

:biggrin:

Have you out grown that D80 yet, is it limiting your artistic endeavorers, the answer is only known by you. If your the type that needs the latest and greatest the go for it just put it on credit. If not, then spend that hard earned $$$ on Good pro quality lens. that's what I do and usually by used body from those who need to have that las test. I can't wait to get a D80 at a bargain basement prices.

Chris,

From my perspective, it's about priorities. My personal situation is almost opposite of yours, 3 small kids, mortgage, other financial priorities and a good steady job. I probably won't ever earn a nickel for my work but I already have a job. Photography is a hobby to reduce stress, use my limited artistic creativity and to have a picture archive of my kids, family & friends and all of our adventures.

I've been looking to upgrade my body since I joined this forum but I was advised early on to upgrade my lenses and get a good flash then practice, experiment and improve. It was good advice and I will pass it along to you. Good camera lenses will have a longer useful life and hold their resale value much longer than camera bodies.

As for new technology, it's always coming and it's coming to market quicker. Just look at the prices for used D200, D2x, and D2xs and much less my pre-historic D70. Some people just gotta have the neatest, shiniest, most expensive widget out there. Perhaps it's vanity or they really have a need for the best of the best all of the time. God bless them because most sell their old stuff that's still in good or better condition.

Good luck to you....:smile:

G

Gary Mayo

I purchased my D300 at a local dealer. Spending money local makes good policy sometimes to support local businesses.

I purchased my D3 at Henry's camera through an eBay offering. It was $500 below what I could get it locally.

I also purchased my D200 from my local dealer. Got my SLR/n from eBay and my S5 from Kirk so he could measure it for a plate. It was used but never used. The Kirk deal was sweet because they were not available yet, but as a camera parts manufacturer, he got a copy early. So the official day of the release when no one had one yet, I did. To bad that camera sicks from a pixel peeper standpoint. I hate it!

Chris, I am not sure why you are leaning towards a body upgrade. D80 in my opinion is very capable camera. Looking at your lens lineup in your signature, if I am in your place, I would invest that $$ in getting BEST possible glass.

If you had lower SLRs like D40/60, body upgrade might have been worth, but I honestly don't think D80 to D300 is necessary if camera is not earning $$.

I am like you but little younger and don't earn a penny from this expensive hobby so sharing my 0.000002 cents :D

I check the Dave Ramsey book and if it qualifies I buy, whether camera or otherwise. I figure cameras are better than drugs/alcohol etc. so why not.

Real Name
David
I would tend to agree with what has already been said unless you are finding that:

There is something that the D80 cannot do that you find is a big part of your hobby

OR

You have the money and just feel like spending it​

And no the second is not just a joke. If you have the money and this hobby is a part of your life I see no reason not to buy one. That's the way is started for me. Now this is my day job. Think about all the bird shooters here and else were that this is just for fun . $4200 for the Sigma version of the 500mm, 200-400mm Nikkor for $5200?

As for the not doing what you need, the D300 will shoot at a higher frame rate and AF faster. Also it has better high ISO. For the D700 the old wide is wide and ISO through the roof.

So look at what you shoot. Will either have specific advantages in what you do. If the answer is no, then yes look for some other glass.

Are my kids fed?
Does my wife have everything she needs and wants?
Are the bills paid?
Is my families future secure?
Would me buying this camera to fulfill my hobby and personal desires not leverage my familes financial well-being?
Will it make me look cool and take me one step closer to fulfilling my dream of shooting the SI Swimsuit Issue?

If yes to all of those and I have the cash and it is what I really want then I buy it.

Never ever on credit though unless it is a 1 year same as cash or similar deal, and even then I think twice.

Are my kids fed?
Does my wife have everything she needs and wants?
Are the bills paid?
Is my families future secure?
Would me buying this camera to fulfill my hobby and personal desires not leverage my familes financial well-being?
Will it make me look cool and take me one step closer to fulfilling my dream of shooting the SI Swimsuit Issue?

If yes to all of those and I have the cash and it is what I really want then I buy it.

Never ever on credit though unless it is a 1 year same as cash or similar deal, and even then I think twice.

Your better smart for an Aggie...

P.S. Hook'em baby.

Same for me. We have no debt, want to keep it that way. Been puttng money away each month for a while now, waiting for that D3x :biggrin: Until then, the D200 works pretty well

Photography is very expensive, unless you have a boat, antique car, motorcycle or any aother of a number of things people have as their toys today. My wife and I raised a family with her as a stay at home mom and me working 70 hrs. a week for 20 years. Today she's back in the workplace with an executive job and I'm working a lot less. We've worked hard to have a few simple pleasures and we don't beat ourselves up if we want to spend a little money. If you're financially secure do what you want and don't fret. Just remember, my advice is worth just what it cost.

Just saw this thread again - I got an Interest free deal and put the cash into a 1 year bond - just reminded me that I need to chase the bond and that I need to send a cheque before the deal becomes interest bearing!

Chris

Like others mentioned, I do have a hobby fund with a weekly "allowance". That serves two purposes:
1) I don't bankrupt the family with overenthousiastic spenditures
2) I don't have to hear that I spent xyz on "camera stuff" as it is my own account.

I save for what I buy. It's a hobby and bankrupting myself with credit is not needed to have fun in what I do. Sure, it will take a little bit longer, but then again "het krijgen van de zaak is het einde van het vermaak" (you can translate that from Dutch on google if you're wondering what it means. But basically desire is half the fun, and that's over when you give in to it).

Finally I agree with others, ask yourself what it is that you expect from the D300 that the D80 can't give you. There are many good reasons to switch over from the D80, but getting better images is not one of them. Better glass, spending money on classes and trips is more effectively spent in that case.

You can't take it with you, even in an asbestos suitcase, as Jack Benny used to say. When I've had long talks with dying people (my day and night job for many years) never had anyone express regret for living a full life, as long as they didn't really hurt others. Was it Redd Foxx who said he didn't want to go to the hospital to find he died of nothing?

My apologies - this was from a little under a year ago. I took the plunge as described now have to pay for it!

I *think* it was worth it!

Chris

My apologies - this was from a little under a year ago. I took the plunge as described now have to pay for it!

I *think* it was worth it!

Chris

I have a D50 which still works fine, but I found that to take my photography to the next level, I needed more in a camera. So I saved my pennies and bought the D300. I LOVE this camera and it would take a lot to get me to give it up for something else. The larger file sizes allow me to do more cropping which is essential for the kind of photography I do. When you are photographing whales, you can't ask them to come closer :)) It's also against the law for the boats to go closer. I've had mine since January and I'm still in love with it. Go for the D300, you won't regret it :)

Carole

Latest threads

Top Bottom