How do you change the eye piece on a Nikon D800e ?

Was out taking pictures today with my camera on a tripod when it decided to fall over backwards I watched in horror as it went down in slow motion and just thought oh crap. Well the snap on glass screen protector did its job, and while it shattered it took the brunt of the fall with no damage to the screen. The eye piece was not as fortunate as it's glass cracked. Fortunately that was the extent of the damage and the camera works fine. I just ordered a new screen protector and DK-17 eye piece but am not sure how the old one comes off, anyone have experience on how to do this fix?

I understand you are supposed to lower the inside protective curtain and then turn the eye piece 1/5th of a turn counter clockwise, but I can not get it to turn at all.

It is awkward to do and it cased me no amount of frustration but you are trying to do it correctly.

I found that I had to make sure that the little lever for the curtain was fully over closing the curtain, then you unscrew the eyepeice. I replaced mine with a DK-17m, not a lot of magnification but well worth the even better viewfinder :)

IsamuM

Not-quite-
I understand you are supposed to lower the inside protective curtain and then turn the eye piece 1/5th of a turn counter clockwise, but I can not get it to turn at all.
No, not 1/5th a turn, but keep unscrewing and it will come off. Make sure that the curtain is all the way down, as the curtain lever also acts as a lock.

If you're having trouble getting a "grip" on the current eyepiece, put on a rubber glove and press with your palm against it and you should be able to encourage it to come off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well turns it is not 1/5th as was corrected here. It just screws out counter clockwise, but I still could not do it by hand. Peeled the rubber off the old one and put a pair of needle nose pliers at 9 and 3 and was able to turn it a full turn till it was loose enough to do it by hand. All fixed with new one installed.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom