How do you clean the mirror ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StuSimmo, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I had to clean the CCD today (which took 3 swipes) and noticed that the mirror is very dirty.

What and how do you clean the mirror without causing damage ????

Thanks for any info.

Stu

2. Use the same cleaner on the mirror. I use pecpads and the eclipse drops - only 2 drops max on the spatula end. Also handy for getting any stubborn marks off lenses/filters, etc.

Cheers, Sandi

3. I never touch my mirror. I use the blub blower.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    As it's a front surface mirror, and much more delicate than the sensor surface (which is really a filter), Jeff's right, don't.

5. Hmmm, never had any problem with mine, but then again, I only have gently wiped it. Have to do some more research into this...

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, at least the good news is if you screw up the mirror, it won't affect the picture quality. I usually just blow it off with a blower.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    If you are very light with the touch, you can brush dust off, and there are products to remove films from fs mirrors, but methanol is way too corrosive to use on a metllized surface. I suspect, however, that modern camera mirrors have a thin layer of silica over the surface for protection.