How do you control these critters around your bird feeders.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darrell, Aug 29, 2008.

1. I tolerate and actually like the chipmunks that feed below the bird feeders but these rascals I hate.
    I occasionally place traps below the feeder at night and usually catch one of these creatures.

I am interested in what others do to control rats around a feeder that is near your house?

102366798.jpg

2. Cute picture :smile:

When I first opened thought it was going to be a squirrel though.... Those are impossible, even with "squirrel proof" feeders!

I think you are doing about all that you can do as they rats are scavenging the shells & seeds dropped by the birds. The only other suggestion that I have would to be quit feeding entirely for a short time to force them to go find food elsewhere, but with that you lose the birds that you are feeding & want to keep and in the long run they would probably return once feeding resumed.

(any cats running lose in your area to bring in for control:tongue: also?)

3. Darrell

I use the conventional spring traps for mice with peanut butter for bait. I put the peanut butter UNDER the trip lever and this nails them just about every time. Be sure to wear gloves when disposing of the critters.........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

4. A very animal unfriendly and crule methode is to shoot a rat wit a bb gun trough his backbone.He screams unbelievable loud when hit,scareing his companions away for weeks.As i say..its crule to see and hear,but it works better than poison where the rat dies in the same pain with a perhaps even longer strugle.
    Beside traps,we use this methode on a friends farm.After about a minute (the time to reload a Sheridan) we finish the job with a second shot.

5. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Most BB guns aren't really up to the task, but an inexpensive 1,000+FPS pellet gun will quickly and humanely dispatch a rat sized animal with a reasonably placed shot.

6. PatS45

PatS45 Guest

I have had success in keeping the squirrels out with the Yankee feeders. Now and then one enterprising critter tries to hang from the top by his back feet but he fall off pretty rapidly. Fun to watch. Can't remember where I bought them but I am sure a google search will find a supplier.

7. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Gonna be tough. It's a tough year and they are smart.
    Besides, you're putting out free food :)

8. My mistake:redface: A Sheridan bluestreak is a pelletgun.6 pumps give a instant kill.

9. I will have to try & remember that for when I get a place again that I can feed birds... Thanks!

10. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Ahh now you're talking!

11. That looks like target practice to me.