How do you deliver your work? contact sheet

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by mr2monster, Jul 29, 2007.

1. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm just curious to see how many of you guys deliver your work for clients to choose from. My main qualm is that I dont want to process a bunch of images just to have 2 or 3 selected for printing.

I was thinking of running the untouched images onto contact sheets and then having the client choose from there, which ones they want processed/which poses they liked... but i dont really care to have my unprocessed work exposed. At the same token, i dont want to have to process 1000+ images if i dont have to.

what's a photographer to do?

2. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    James, what are you shooting? I have been shooting Country Thunder and I upload groups of images to printroom and when the image is ordered I then process it.

3. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    It's a wedding that I'm specifically talking about.... My problem is that I forgot the change the batteries in my flashes so some of the shots are a little underexposed and most are noisy. I was thinking i could just run a levels action or something of that nature to get the exposure correct, and the worry about the noise on a per image basis (I only have the trial version of Neat Image right now).

But I've also run across this issue with most everything that I shoot whether it be portraits (I have Senior photos coming up), models, weddings, etc. Any time that a client has to choose which photos they want.

Generally events (not that i shoot a lot of them) I'll just upload unprocessed images like you do..

4. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    James, I would never deliver unprocessed images to a customer.

5. I have the client review images in the Mediapro Catalog viewer. I usually give them what I think is the best 10% and if they don't like that selection, I work down from there.

Sean

6. I agree with James.
    While I'm always a few days slower than my contemporaries, I always do some processing and cropping prior to posting my proofs.

As the old saying goes... "you only get one chance to make a first impression".
    Don't expect the customer to envision how it could look... show 'em.

Don

7. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I agree, for a wedding I would PP all the photos you want to show.

8. First I eliminate duplicate poses, blinkies, look aways, softies, bad exposures, etc. Then I crop and edit the best of what's left, have them printed, and deliver them as the proof set. All my proofs are album quality 4x6s.

9. I'm using Photocart for showing proofs. I always edit/retouch between 30-40 images for my portrait clients and they order what they want directly through the software. I have yet to encounter anyone wanting only 2 or 3 images printed. I do include a print credit in my session fee and also have a minimum order amount. It's worked great for me so far.

ETA: I've done the same for weddings - but the number of proofed images is much higher. I'm also in agreement with Don. I don't take for granted that clients will be able to envision how great a photo can look. I much prefer to show them right away.