How do you do that Beatles thing?

OK, first of all, I am a beginner, so speak slowly and clearly.

I need some advice on how to make a photo of my kids with the look of the "Meet the Beatles" album (I think that is the right one). This is where there is a black background and half the face is lit up. I saw someone in this forum do a great job at this but I could not find the original post to ask him/her how they did it.
I have a D80 and a SB600. Can this be done with this equipment?
Thank you!
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the D80 in Commander mode, set the SB600 on remote and move it off to one side of the subject(s), hang a black background, put the on camera flash on "--" and take the picture. Adjust as necessary until you get the effect you want.

just so folks can see what you are trying to accomplish:
there is NO COPYRIGHT on this image

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OK, as an addition to my info in the post above: Take individual shots of each family member as described and then combine them into one image in Photoshop. If you don't know how to do that then search for "collage" and/or "montage" here on the Cafe.

Put the D80 in Commander mode, set the SB600 on remote and move it off to one side of the subject(s), hang a black background, put the on camera flash on "--" and take the picture. Adjust as necessary until you get the effect you want.
Gordon, so using the "--" setting in Commander mode (D200) turns off the on camera flash during the actual exposure? It still flashes, but I'm assuming only the off camera flash is actually on during the image? I just saw this thread, and I am trying to learn the same sort of technique. I had almost given up, and was assuming I'd need an SU800 to make it work...

Gordon, so using the "--" setting in Commander mode (D200) turns off the on camera flash during the actual exposure? It still flashes, but I'm assuming only the off camera flash is actually on during the image? I just saw this thread, and I am trying to learn the same sort of technique. I had almost given up, and was assuming I'd need an SU800 to make it work...
It does not shut it off completly but it does cut it down to the point that it has little if any effect on the image.

what flash settings

Thanks for the info.
What flash settings do I need to use?

I am having trouble getting the flash to fire off camera, but that is a whole other can of worms (I told you I was new, right?) I am in commander mode

Where did you see that that image belongs to the public domain?
there are HUNDREDS of these images...
folks have taken from their own album collection
there is NO law, WHATSOEVER about posting them on the internet

go look at any site that sells the cd/album

that image can lawfully be shown here...
i promise you

Real Name
Chris
Where did you see that that image belongs to the public domain?
According to the US Copyright Office:
US Copyright Office Information Circular 15a said:
• Works originally copyrighted between January 1, 1964, and December 31, 1977: The amendment to the copyright law enacted June 26, 1992, makes renewal registration optional. The copyright is still divided between a 28-year original term and a 67-year renewal term, but a renewal registration is not required to secure the renewal copyright. The renewal vests on behalf of the appropriate renewal claimant upon registration or, if there is no renewal registration, on December 31 of the 28th year.
If the 28 year copyright on the image lapsed between Jan. 1 1992 and June 26, 1992 the copyright may not be in effect.

Changing the tone a little...I was intrigued this morning when I read the subject of the first post. How do you do that Beatles thing? I knew exactly what Stooge was going to ask before I opened it. I dare say several others did too. I think it's quite interesting that that one album cover photo defines that particular syle of shadowy shot.

Changing the tone a little...I was intrigued this morning when I read the subject of the first post. How do you do that Beatles thing? I knew exactly what Stooge was going to ask before I opened it. I dare say several others did too. I think it's quite interesting that that one album cover photo defines that particular syle of shadowy shot.
Count me in for the same reaction. And I was born in late '65 to parents in their mid-30s, so don't call me a Boomer!

Hey, I did do it!

I did finally figure this out. I wanted only half of the face lit...not exactly like the Beatles.
Let me know what you think.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom