1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do you do that Beatles thing?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by stooge, Jun 29, 2008.

1. stooge

stooge

May 30, 2008
    Arcadia, NC
    OK, first of all, I am a beginner, so speak slowly and clearly.

I need some advice on how to make a photo of my kids with the look of the "Meet the Beatles" album (I think that is the right one). This is where there is a black background and half the face is lit up. I saw someone in this forum do a great job at this but I could not find the original post to ask him/her how they did it.
    I have a D80 and a SB600. Can this be done with this equipment?
    Thank you!
    Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  2. Put the D80 in Commander mode, set the SB600 on remote and move it off to one side of the subject(s), hang a black background, put the on camera flash on "--" and take the picture. Adjust as necessary until you get the effect you want.

3. just so folks can see what you are trying to accomplish:
    there is NO COPYRIGHT on this image

meet.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. OK, as an addition to my info in the post above: Take individual shots of each family member as described and then combine them into one image in Photoshop. If you don't know how to do that then search for "collage" and/or "montage" here on the Cafe.

5. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Gordon, so using the "--" setting in Commander mode (D200) turns off the on camera flash during the actual exposure? It still flashes, but I'm assuming only the off camera flash is actually on during the image? I just saw this thread, and I am trying to learn the same sort of technique. I had almost given up, and was assuming I'd need an SU800 to make it work...

6. It does not shut it off completly but it does cut it down to the point that it has little if any effect on the image.

7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Just tried it, and WOW! I never knew that was there!! Amazing! It's as if the on camera flash doesn't throw any light at all.
    Thanks Gordon!

8. stooge

stooge

May 30, 2008
    Arcadia, NC
    what flash settings

Thanks for the info.
    What flash settings do I need to use?

I am having trouble getting the flash to fire off camera, but that is a whole other can of worms (I told you I was new, right?) I am in commander mode

9. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Where did you see that that image belongs to the public domain?

10. there are HUNDREDS of these images...
    folks have taken from their own album collection
    there is NO law, WHATSOEVER about posting them on the internet

go look at any site that sells the cd/album

that image can lawfully be shown here...
    i promise you

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    According to the US Copyright Office:
    If the 28 year copyright on the image lapsed between Jan. 1 1992 and June 26, 1992 the copyright may not be in effect.

12. thanks for the clarification, chris
    i greatly appreciate it

13. stooge

stooge

May 30, 2008
    Arcadia, NC
    I got this link from the same question over at DPReview. I now got the commander mode figured out. Just wanted to pass this along in case there are others as ignorant as I am.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That is not to say, Greg, that the image was not re-registered.

15. i suppose
    i just can't imagine how THAT image's presentation here would concern ANYONE on this earth, living or dead

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well I did a little more research into this image. I'd say, to protect the Cafe in this instance, you should reduce the size of the image to 200x200 pixels, just to be on the safe side.

17. Changing the tone a little...I was intrigued this morning when I read the subject of the first post. How do you do that Beatles thing? I knew exactly what Stooge was going to ask before I opened it. I dare say several others did too. I think it's quite interesting that that one album cover photo defines that particular syle of shadowy shot.

18. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Count me in for the same reaction. And I was born in late '65 to parents in their mid-30s, so don't call me a Boomer!

19. stooge

stooge

May 30, 2008
    Arcadia, NC
    Hey, I did do it!

I did finally figure this out. I wanted only half of the face lit...not exactly like the Beatles.
    Let me know what you think.

jennahalf2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.