how do you expose?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Iliah, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Here is how I do it most of the time, when my batteries in hand-held exposure meter are flat, and when I'm out of studio:

I need to know dynamic range raw processor of my choice will provide me with, and in the mode of that raw processor I'm going to use (including in-camera raw processor, if you shoot JPEGs). Say, am I going to trouble myself with "highlight recovery", or deadlines/laziness will not allow for that.

For curve-sensitive raw processors like NC, in-camera raw engine, PP - this dynamic range will somewhat depend on the in-camera curve used.

I do not take into account specular highlights - they will always fall out of the sensor capabilities (I shoot welding, trust me on that - I know :) ).

I use spot-meter to determine the dynamic range of the scene I'm going to capture. If this scene is covered with the dynamic range I expect from raw converter, I take the readings from highlights and compensate about +2 1/2 stops (find that value for your camera).

If I have no time to do spot-metering and I have high-contrast scene, I use center-weighted from the main subject. Camera would record it as neutral 12.5% gray. If I see that the main subject should not be rendered as neutral gray, I use bracketing. My bracketing is set to 0.5eV, sequence to normal, less, more (that gives flash more chances to recharge, and there are other reasons for that). I bracket 3 or 5 frames, usually three are enough.

If the scene is low-contrast (less then 6 1/2 stops) - I use matrix.

Graduated neutral filters for landscapes pay back in reducing "highlight recovery" troubles. I use gray scales to determine dynamic range and to see how my spot-meter is calibrated.

2. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Thanks Illah. Good tutorial.

OT: how do you calibrate your colormeter?

3. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Henry, that was not meant to be a tutoroial at all :)

By calibrating colormeter - do you mean actual calibrating, or matching the camera readings ? :)

4. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Hello Illah,

I should have said "how do you verify if your colormeter is colorimetrically correct or accurate?"
    Thanks.

Henry

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent post Iliah.

Thanks,

Frank

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Henry,

The simpliest thing to do probably is to make it actory-recalibrated. Otherwise pretty expensive stuff is needed - ethalon light source and special tiles about $200 each.

If your colormeter does not match the camera, it is another story.