How do you get sharp HS basketball photos

About shutter speed.
It depends . . . on how FAST the players are. And that is a variable.
I can shoot HS Freshman basketball at 1/250 sec, but for varsity I need to be up at 1/800 but better at 1/1000+.

About shutter speed.
It depends . . . on how FAST the players are. And that is a variable.
I can shoot HS Freshman basketball at 1/250 sec, but for varsity I need to be up at 1/800 but better at 1/1000+.
For varsity I know I can drop down to 1/640 and get a good selection to submit, but I'm going to have a good amount that gets trashed because of running that speed. I don't know where in the contractors guide it says high school gyms must be build with medieval dungeon lighting.

For varsity I know I can drop down to 1/640 and get a good selection to submit, but I'm going to have a good amount that gets trashed because of running that speed. I don't know where in the contractors guide it says high school gyms must be build with medieval dungeon lighting.
I know what you mean.
When I was in HS, there was a gym we called "the cave."
Absolutely the worst lighting of all the HS gyms that I shot at. It was even bad during the day with the window shutters open.

Volleyball is worse, as the speed of the spike is much faster than basketball passes and moves.
There I have to be at 1/1000 or faster. And even at 1/1000, I get blurred ball and arm on a spike.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom